How do I search through an Insight objectType filtering by Attachments?

Sal G January 8, 2021

I have Staff assets that we add file attachments to and have realized I can't filter based on attachments, only attributes. For example, show all staff with Attachments that are pdfs having the words in the title "filled.form". With the option to display a link to the file.

And there is no option to create a file upload attribute.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2021

Hi @Sal G ,

what about to create object type Staff attachment and add multi-object attribute Attachments to the Staff object type, i.e. instead of store the attachments to the staff object create object for each attachment and link it to the staff object.

Each object with type Staff attachment can have name and other attributes to be able to search through these attachments and you can attach pdf file to these objects (each pdf file will have it's own object).

Sal G January 11, 2021

I'd thought of this.  It removes the ease of adding a file to an object as you are working on it. And if the object isn't named just-so, it could be difficult to discern what it is without opening the file object and then the file.  Just seems to make too many more steps for a quick glance at an attribute.

This is a flaw in Insight and should be remedied. Attachments should be treated like multi-valued attributes and easily seen by file names as links to the file.

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2021

Yes, your solution would be more complicated, but unfortunately I can't think of any other way, how to achieve, what you need.

Sal G January 11, 2021

I was hoping there would be some advanced IQL or JQL that would work for searches.

Maybe I have this in the wrong place?  Should it be a feature request?

Thanks,

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2021

I was able to find some issues in Mindville's Jira related to this topic:

Even though Insight is now Atlassian's product, it seems to me it still used and I was able to login. Probably it will be the best to create/comment issue here.

Like Sal G likes this
Sal G January 11, 2021

Thanks.  These issues match my own interests.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events