How do I rollback to an earlier version?

Richard Vass October 26, 2020

Hi, my organisation requires that I have an upgrade rollback plan in the event of  complications with any application upgrades. How would I go about rolling back to a previously installed version of the Rich Filters for Jira dashboard plugin? Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2020

The general principle is that you should take a full backup before installing anything new and restore from it if something goes wrong.  This is because Atlassian applications simply don't have any downgrade path.  If the database changes shape because you've upgraded, you cannot change it back - there's no code for going back.

However, that is a big roll-back, and you probably total overkill for a lot of apps.  Apps do make use of Jira's database, but most rarely change the structure of what they are using.  If you've gone from version X with a database in one shape, and version Y of the app does not change the structure, your roll-back from Y to X can be "remove Y, install X"

Richard Vass October 28, 2020

Hello Nic, thanks for your reply. Is there a simple way of knowing when/if an app changes the database structure?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2020

No, there's no way to know other than doing a comparison.  Note that it's not just the structure - it may also be the format of the data that changes.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events