How do I exclude sub-task creation notification emails but not story, epic issues?

Vivek Muthusamy January 22, 2020

Hello,

I have setup notification theme which will send notification the everyone in the team when an issue is created. Team wanted to exclude sub-task notification emails to everyone except person assigned and created. Please advise to resolve this situation.

Thanks,

Vivek

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2020

Hello Vivek,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

I understand that you are sending notifications when an issue is created to all the users in your instance, however, you would like to avoid those notifications from being sent when the created issue is a sub-task. For sub-tasks, you want only to send notifications for the person assigned and the reporter of the issue. Is that correct?

Unfortunately, it is not possible to group the notification scheme based on issue types, but we clearly understand how useful this functionality would be.

That being said, we created the following feature request to implement that option:

Being able to create notification groups based on "Issue Type" 

As a possible workaround, you can use a Group Custom Field to mark which issues you want to sent notifications. This would be the steps:

1 - If you don't have a global group configured, create a group on your Jira instance containing all the users of your instance 

2 - Create a group picker custom field and add it to all your issue type screens, except for sub-tasks

3 - Configure the post function "Update issue custom field" to update the field you created with the group containing all your users

4 - Configure your Notification scheme to send notifications to the Assignee, Reporter and the users added in the group picker custom field

We understand that this is not the ideal solution, so please make sure to vote and watch the suggestion mentioned above to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Vivek Muthusamy January 24, 2020

Thanks Petter for the workaround provided and creating a request for this!

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2020

You are welcome, Vivek.

Have a nice weekend!

David Loszewski April 8, 2020

Hello @Petter Gonçalves

The link you posted above for group picker custom field is displaying a 404 page, do you have an updated link to this?  

Thanks. 

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
April 9, 2020

Hello @David Loszewski

Thank you for letting me know the link is broken.

This would be the correct link: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configure-a-custom-field-991923771.html

Suggest an answer