How do I create stories in a different project from the parent epic?

Vanessa Cheng September 30, 2020

I have a trigger that creates multiple stories when an epic is created with a certain label. I want these stories to be created in a different project, depending on what was selected in the parent epic's 'Squad' field. How do I do this?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2020

Hi Vanessa - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Have you started creating the rule yet? Is so, can you share what you have?

If not, you can take a look at this info to get started:

There are two types of automation:

• Global: In the Free version, you get 100 executions per product, per month
  • Project: In all versions, you get unlimited executions per month

Automation Basics: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/expand-jira/automation

You can do this via global rules to apply to all projects also. You'll need to be a Jira Admin/Site Admin, go to Jira Settings > System > Automation Rules (left-hand menu).

For more on using Automation For Jira see these help pages.

Essentially, you will start with an Issue Created trigger.

Then add conditions for issue type = Epic and label = ABC

Then do an If/Else Block condition for each of the Squads. After each If, add a new action to Create Issue. There you can choose whatever project and fields you like. 

Vanessa Cheng October 1, 2020

Hi John,

I started with the Issue Created trigger and the conditions for the Epic and Label, but I got stuck after that. I did as you suggested with the If/Else block condition and it now works a treat!

Thank you!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events