How do I attach a sub-task to a differently created ticket from its parent?

Jeremiah Jacquet September 16, 2019

I am using Automation for Jira and my goal is to create a ticket that copies the original ticket:

Team and Ticket Number: {{issue.key}}
Description Body: {{issue.fields.description}}

This approach does not stop the other team from moving their ticket into the done column. It's essentially a dupe that we track on the automation side. I've accomplished that so my question is:

How do I create a sub-task for the dupe ticket, and that sub-task only shows on our dupe and not the parent ticket?

When I create the following action "And: Create a new sub-task" after "Then:Create a new" I get the following error:

Create issue

Error creating issueSub-tasks must be created in the same project as the parent. (project)

1 answer

0 votes
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2019

Hi @Jeremiah_Jacquet 

What to you mean by "only show on our dupe" ? this is a filter, a project ? A subtask belong to an issue, you can't create a subtask that will go on a other projet that the parent, if you want something like that, just clone or link a new ticket in the project.

Project A will have a ticket, and project b will have a ticket that is linked to my first ticket.

Jeremiah Jacquet September 17, 2019

Hi @Mohamed Benziane thanks for the response. Heres a detailed explanation of what we're trying to accomplish. 

- A team creates a feature that requires testing. We've created a selectable field in all the team's tickets that allow them to notify the testing team that it needs automation. This is done by selecting "needs testing" in a custom selectable field.
- Once that is selected, Automation for Jira creates a copy of that ticket and links back to the original ticket. We do it this way because we have limited resources so TDD is not possible and we don't want to block them from completing their ticket.
- Now that a request for automated testing has been received in our backlog, we begin to track our tickets and efforts differently. Meaning, we create the test-scripts but we also need to remember to enter a subtask on that duplicated ticket to perform other tasks such as generating a test case id in a separate test case manager handled by another piece of software. 

So now that I know, you can only create a sub-task based on its parent. How do I tell Automation for Jira to create a sub-task on the newly created ticket(the dupe)? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events