How can we synchronise nfeed fields when keys are not identical

francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 19, 2016

The challenge is as follows

• We have 2 JIRA's (On premise)
  • issues between the 2 JIRA's need to be synchronised 
  • Both JIRA's use NFeed to provide database information in the context of an issue
  • Each side has it's own table used by nfeed and the id of the field is different
  • We need a way to lookup the values at the source and use these values to lookup the key at the target

2 answers

12 votes
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2016

In order to give a comprehensive answer, I compared how three of the issue sync solutions with the most active installations support nfeed field synchronization in general:

Here are the results of my analysis:

• Exalate
    • nFeed field to nFeed field (same nfeed keys)
      You can configure this in the corresponding script fields by adding the following lines
      Data Filter

replica.customFields."nfeed field" = issue.customFields."nfeed field"

Change Processor:

issue.customFields."nfeed field" = replica.customFields."nfeed field"
    • nFeed field to nFeed field (different nfeed keys)
      As Francis answered and documented in their docs. The implementation depends on the kind of datasource of your nfeed field (database table, csv/JSON file, etc.).
    • nFeed field to text field
      Get the text value from the nfeed field and write it into a text field. You can use the first part of this doc (Looking up nfeed values) in order to send out the value on the senders side. On the receiver side you have to map it to the corresponding text field.
  • Issue SYNC - Synchronization for JIRA
    • As far as I know - not supported. I could not get it running in my tests. Does someone know how to handle it?
  • Backbone Issue Sync for JIRA
    General information about the nfeed support can be found in the documentation.
      You can configure this via the UI by selecting the fields you want to sync.
      backbone-nfeed-nfeed.png
      Not supported because Valiantys does not offer an official REST api to look up a key based on a value.
    • nFeed field to text field
      You can also configure this in the UI as the first case and select a text field as target. Backbone looks up the value of the nfeed field and provides it to the text field.

If you know how the other sync solutions handle these cases, please comment here, and I am happy to edit my answer.

5 votes
francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 19, 2016

With exalate you can create a script which retrieves the nfeed information through REST on one side, transport it over the wire to the other JIRA, and lookup the corresponding value in the database table.

Check following example which provides the details of this approach
How to sync nfeed fields when key values are different

It is an example of the integration flexibility of Exalate

Francis

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events