How can we migrate existing scripts from Jira Server projects to Jira Cloud Project?

Sangram Nayak February 18, 2022

We want to migrate 1 Jira Server project to Jira Cloud.

In my server project, I have implemented so many scripted post functions, scripted validators, scripted conditions, listeners and jobs.

How I can migrate all to Cloud Instance with the same scripts.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2022

The short answer is that you cannot do this with a simple "migration"

Jira Server/DC and Jira Cloud are fundamentally different pieces of software.  They're from the same people, they have code in common, they do the same thing (issue tracking), and in similar ways.  But they're totally different under the hood.

Apps have to be built in totally different frameworks and have totally different levels of access to the applications.  A good case is Adaptavist's Scriptrunner.  We didn't adjust the Server version to make it compatible with Cloud, we wrote the Cloud version from scratch. 

If you look at SR scripts in Server and Cloud, you'll notice that they use different languages.  Cloud doesn't support things running Groovy in an app as Server does.

What you will need to do is look at every script and work out how to translate it up to Cloud.  Some scripts can simply be rewritten in the right language, but others will have to be replaced with new ways to do it - a totally new Cloud script or using Automations to do part or all of what your Server script did.

And now the shameless plug - a lot of partners would be happy to help you with your migration of scripts up to Cloud.  Adaptavist is one of them, but also has a team dedicated to scripting in Cloud, including converting Server scripts to Cloud.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events