How can the component fields be filled in automatically when I create a new task?

雄一 石山 February 24, 2021

We have made some components in project.
And we have made scrum boards for each components via through "filter"(a component is set).
When creating a new issue (this operation is doing on the boards above),
on some boards, the component fields are filled in automatically (but I don't remember setting anything),
but on some boards, the component fields is still blank.
How can the component fields be filled in automatically when I create a new task?

As a supplement, We don't use "Automation for Jira".

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2021

Hi @雄一 石山  - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Cards are not really created on boards - they are simply created against a Project and an Issue Type. So I suspect that you have a post function on one of your workflows for the Create transition that is setting the Component. 

But it might be set by other automation such as ScriptRunner or something else. 

雄一 石山 March 1, 2021

First of all, thank you for your reply.
And since I'm still a beginner in Jira, I'm sorry I often don't understand the meaning or actual object of the word.
For example, I don't know (and maybe don't use) the "ScriptRunner" and "post function" in Jira.

Maybe, I didn't explain our situation cause of my poor English skill.
So I try to explain again.
(In fact, I make explanation diagram. But I can't upload my diagram from our company because maybe our company's security block.)

We made 13 components, filters and scrum boards in a project.
When we create a new task in 12 of 13 board (*), this new task have component automatically.
But when we create a new task in last 1 board, this new task don't have component automatically.

(*)
Our "create a new task" operation are started from to click "create issue" in below of backlog field in each scrum board.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2021

So post functions are on the workflow attached to the project. You will need to edit the workflow and look at the Create transition (the line to the very first status). When you click on that, a popup box will show the number of post functions, triggers, conditions, etc. Click on the Post Functions link and see what it shows. 

雄一 石山 March 4, 2021

Each (13) components, boards are build in same project.
And these use same issue types.
As a result these use same workflow.

And this workflow suggest us "this workflow is managed by Jira Software. Don't change workflow scheme manually", and we didn't edit this workflow.

Is there a possibility of a bug of Jira software ?
If so, I will contact Atlassian support.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 4, 2021

That means it is probably a Simplified workflow. In that case, I would copy the workflow, and make your changes to the new workflow. You will also need to create a new Workflow scheme. 

Attach the new workflow to the new scheme, then change the Workflow Scheme on your project to Switch to the new scheme. 

雄一 石山 March 7, 2021

Thank you for your answer.

The 13 components are already running sprints, can the existing tasks continue to work if I change the workflow in that state?
However, I will replace it with a workflow that is no different from the simplified workflow (because it doesn't need to be changed).
I'm worried because it will affect the 12 components that aren't having problems.

And I don't understand why this method will fix the problem. Does something work if I reconfigure the same settings?

雄一 石山 March 7, 2021

The next action I'm trying to do is to create a new component that replaces one problem component and move all the issues. Then remove the problem component.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 9, 2021

Yes, you can change the workflow mid-flight of a sprint and it should not interfere with it. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events