Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I trigger an automation rule on one project based on linked issues from another project?

We currently have 2 projects that have some dependencies. I would like to create an automation rule so that if an issue is linked with a ticket from another project, it will add a specific label to the ticket.

Ex. Project ABC and Project DEF

Ticket ABC-1 is updated to be linked with ticket DEF-1, I now want ABC-1 to have a label for project DEF to identify that it is related to that project.

I tried creating a few different rules but so far none seem to work. I managed to get it to work on ticket creation but I want it to happen when a link is added. Is there a way to do this?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk Community Leader Jun 02, 2020

Hi Rachel - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I don't think you are going to be able to do it if the only thing getting updated is that there is a new link created. Automation does not have a rule type for when the Linked Issue field is updated. 

And out of curiosity, why are you adding a label to show they are linked when you already have the link established? 

Thanks for the information! And for the welcome :)

I'm not really looking for a label to show they have a link but a label to show they are related to the other project, so I was thinking it could know that by looking at the link and seeing that the linked issue comes from this other project.

We have separate teams working on the different projects, one project has many many "branches" of the product and one project is more focused so on the "busier" project they want to identify the tickets that are related to this other project so they can be prioritized accordingly among all the other backlog items currently hiding them. I was looking for an easy way to auto-flag them as being related but maybe it's not possible right now, may just have to remember to label them one by one for now. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

John Funk Community Leader Jun 03, 2020

I found out that the good folks with Automation For Jira have this on their roadmap to provide. You can follow along here:

https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-1641

You could probably auto connect them with a rule if you prompt them to enter some information at create. That won't work for an Update. But maybe make them do the link at create somehow?

Thank you! That's great news!

Yes, in the meantime I created a rule on creation so at least some tickets will be flagged. Takes out at least some of the work :) Thanks for your help!

John Funk Community Leader Jun 03, 2020

Glad I could help a little.  :-)

HI John, I have a similar issue where I want a linked card in one project to be notated and the assignee be sent a message when another card it is linked to in a different project is completed.  How would I do this?  I can create the automation to do all of this, except it only seems to work on cards that are linked within the same project and not 2 different projects.

Like Rachel Brenner likes this

Update on this.  I figured it out.  You have to create a global automation and then select multiple projects to connect the automation between issues in those projects.  Runs perfectly fine now.

Like # people like this
John Funk Community Leader Dec 08, 2020

Hey @Rachel Brenner  - if this was helpful to you, can you click on the Accept Answer button above to close this one out? Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Apps & Integrations

🍻🍂Apptoberfest🍂🍻 is here!

Starting today, we’ve got a month of app-related fun in store here in the Community! During this month’s festivities, which we’re calling 🍻🍂Apptoberfest🍂🍻, we’ll be giving you lots of opportuniti...

1,587 views 26 71
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you