How can I set up my scope in BigPicture to show an Epic and its stories from multiple projects?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2021

See the image below.  This is a gross oversimplification, but assume an epic with 3 stories, each in a different project.  In BigPicture the structure is destroyed due to an emphasis on project-based nodes.  That might be good for some, but for others that's irrelevant - the actual hierarchy is what matters - the Epic and its stories and their subtasks, regardless of project.  Basically, get rid of project nodes.

How can I build that tree in BigPicture?  Is it even possible?

BP scope.png

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 2, 2021

Hi @Rob Horan

Just at this moment, I've finished my answer regarding your first question :) You can find it in this thread. 

Question no 2 - if you deselect Projects in Box Configuration >> Tasks >> Scope Definition; they shouldn't be displayed on the Gantt chart more. Please try to Clear Cache (Jira Administration >> Manage Apps >> BigPicture Technical Configuration >> Advanced >> Clear Cache). Please let me know did it help. 

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2021

Hi Anna,

It looks like my setting didn't save properly.  I must have clicked something incorrectly.  THANK YOU  - I am getting a lot of questions about BigPicture from one source, and I can answer many, but not all.  I'm off to look into BigTemplate for answers now.  Thanks!

Capture 2021-03-02 at 10.22.46.png

Like Anna-BigPicture likes this
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 2, 2021

@Rob HoranI answer your questions with pleasure. BigPicture is an advanced tool. However, once it's adjusted & configured properly, it is very supportive both in planning projects as well as day-to-day leading and reporting.

Moreover, I do hope that our conversations make a significant contribution for other users who are facing similar issues, so keep asking, please :)

1 vote
Answer accepted
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
March 2, 2021

Hi @Rob Horan 

Yes, it’s possible :) Please note that in Box Configuration >> Tasks >> Scope Definition, apart from defining your Program's scope, you can also select which elements will be displayed as tasks. 

You can add the following Jira task types to the scope:

• Project
  • Version (Start date and Release date can be synchronized)
  • Sprint (start date and end date of the sprint can be synchronized)
  • Component

I see that in the case you described below, you added Projects. To resolve the situation, please remove them. Below you can find my simplified example. I recreated your case; I have 3 projects + 1 epic that is a parent of 2 stories. 

image (83).pngTo remove project nodes, please go to Box Configuration and disable ‘Projects’ in the Task Type drop-down list.

image (84).png

Make sure that you have selected epics as Structure Builder. Once it’s done your WBS will be displayed as you expected.

image (85).png

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 2, 2021

Hi Anna,

This is extremely helpful.  I have two quick follow ups.

• How can I manually add tasks?  I don't mean create new tasks, I mean manually add existing tasks that were not part of the original scope.
  • How can I prevent the project nodes from showing?  I have the structure I need but the project nodes are still appearing.

Capture 2021-03-02 at 9.39.51.png

Like Anna-BigPicture likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events