How can I reorder the stories within an Epic?

Cyndalia Fernandes March 9, 2020

Within an Epic, I want to be able to reorder the stories in a particular order so that when I pull the query on Confluence it should display the same order that I have set. 

1 answer

0 votes
Jorden Van Bogaert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2020

Hi @Cyndalia Fernandes 

You can simply add "ORDER BY" to your query on Confluence. For example, when you set ORDER BY RANK, it will show your issues based on their ranking in Jira.

You can also chose to ORDER BY PRIORITY or many other things. You can also add "ASC" or "DESC" to change the way it's ordered.

An example would be project = ATL and resolution is empty ORDER BY due ASC

This would order your search result by due date in an ascending manner.

Hope this helps!
Kind regards
Jorden

Cyndalia Fernandes March 9, 2020

Thanks @Jorden Van Bogaert , basically what I am trying to do is the following:

An example:

• I have an epic, which has 10 stories. 
  • These stories are written by the PM in no particular order.
  • Within Confluence, I have put in a Jira query to display this epic and the stories within it as part of documentation. 
  • The order of the stories should be as following: 5,2,4,3,1,6,7,9,8,10. The reason I want it to be in this order because in terms of documentation, the flow makes sense to view it this way. 
  • Hence, I want to set the order for documentation purposes.

Not sure if that makes sense. 

Like # people like this
Jorden Van Bogaert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2020

Hey @Cyndalia Fernandes 

If you open up a Jira board where Ranking is enabled, you can simply drag and drop the issues in the right order. If you then use the ORDER BY RANK query on Confluence, they'll show up in the order that you set them in Jira.

The query would look like this

"Epic Link" = XYZ-123 ORDER BY RANK ASC

You can't change the order in Confluence itself, you can only do this in Jira. 

PS: for using ranking, I'm assuming you have Jira Software, with Jira Core, a different approach should be taken, but here I'm not sure what that approach would be.

Kind regards
Jorden

Like Andy Barnett likes this
Andy Barnett November 27, 2020

This was the the answer that worked for me, thanks!

Like Jorden Van Bogaert likes this
Aviv Hadar August 31, 2023

Thanks for the great tip @Jorden Van Bogaert .

I have another issue. When I change the order of user stories in the backlog, I see that they also change in the epic itself.
One thing I can't seem to change is the fact that all the user stories that are in the current sprint, will always come after user stories in the backlog.

I would prefer to see it otherwise. When looking at an epic, see on top the active user stories, and only at the bottom those that are in the backlog.

the list on the epic page is not sortable so I can't switch the order.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events