How can I put javascript code to spice up a multi select custom field I am creating in a plugin.

Umair Haroon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2014

Hi,

I am creating a multiselect field via a plugin. I would like to put javascript code as description when creating the plugin to make the field look fancy (actually behave like the nice components field of JIRA)

I want to pass the below code as a description parameter when creating the custom field.

(function($){
new AJS.MultiSelect({
element: $("#customfield_10052"),
itemAttrDisplayed: "label",
errorMessage: AJS.params.multiselectComponentsError
});
})(AJS.$);
The problem is that the above code needs the custom field ID. However I dont know the field ID till the field is created by the statement below.
CustomField cField = CustomFieldManager.createCustomField(customfieldName, "FIELD DESCRIPTION: JAVA SCRIPT CODE HERE", customFieldManager.getCustomFieldType(customFieldTypeKey) , customFieldSearcher, contexts, issueTypes);

So I can only get the ID using cField.getID() after the field is created.

So How can I use the above javascript code as description of the multiselect custom field I am creating in the plugin.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2014

You can set the description after the field is created.

String jscode = "(function($){...";
cField.setDescription(jscode);
CustomFieldManager.updateCustomField(cField);

Umair Haroon
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2014

Hey boris . I was about to delete my question as I just realized myself customField would probably have a setDescription function.

Thanks though!

Umair Haroon
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2014

Hey Boris. Strangely enough I am able to set the Description of the field when I send some text in to cField.setDescription(someTextStringHere), however when the string holds some java script code (with proper formatted escape characters ofcourse) it does not show up in the acutal field description, while the text does show.

Any ideas if Jira even allows us to set java script as description via plugins or am I missing something?

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2014

Jira allows setting js code in the description. I think you do not need to escape it. The script will not show up in the description but it's there. You can do a simple test by putting <script>console.log('test message')</script> and check if it will show up in the browser console.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Fields+Allowing+Custom+HTML+or+JavaScript

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events