How can I manage Zephyr user groups in Jira?

Kari Styles December 11, 2019

We use Zephyr for test management.  I am trying to restrict the use of Zephyr to 5 or 6 people, out of my 50 or so Jira Software users.  When I asked Jira how to do this, they said it was managed by the Site Admin under user administration. 

"For this concern, you need to contact the site admins on your cloud site and tell them the name of the users you want to have access, the site admin would be able to grant them access or not"

I am the site admin and I cannot find where to enable or disable access to Zephyr specifically.  When I read the Zephyr documentation, it points me to the Jira documentation for administration.

https://zephyrdocs.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ZFJCLOUD/pages/21757959/Users+Groups+and+Permissions

If anyone has something more specific they can share, I would appreciate it.

1 answer

0 votes
giulia.perelli September 21, 2020

Hi @Kari Styles ,

as long as a user has the Browse Project permission in project-A, this user will access the Zephyr app within the project-A.

Unfortunately there's no way to separate those actions:
granting access to the project (view and search issues)
and
granting access to Zephyr within the same project (access to some features, see example below).

Example

Your Organization want to limit access to the Zephyr data of project-A to a specific user/project role/group- named 'testing team', but want also that another user/project role/group can only search for issue in project-A for reporting purposes - named 'marketing team'.

So, you need to grant the Browse Project permission to 'marketing team' (in the JIRA permission scheme associated to project-A), if you want that the team can search for issue in this project and run the available reports; BUT the team will also have access to Zephyr within the project-A, so it'll be able to performe some tasks:

• View and search tests

• View Cycle Summary
  • Create test cycles

• Create, edit, delete folders
  • View test executions
  • Manage execution filters

(Reporting)
  • View Test Summary
  • View Test Metrics
  • View Traceability Matrix

• Create/Edit/Delete automation tasks (A.T.O.M.)

In many real scenarios, there are project roles/groups that need view-only access to the project for their work, but Zephyr for Jira Cloud does not provide any configuration to exclude them from accessing and performing some tasks in Zephyr within the same project.

Setting a standard procedure and sharing it within the Organization is a valuable option to limit the risk of undesired action on test cycles, folders or automation tasks.

Hope this help! :-)

Does anyone want to share her/his experience on Zephyr permissions?

Regards,
Giulia

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events