How can I link a suitable Epic via Automation when an issue was created by a customer?

Tuna Altiparmak June 4, 2021

Hello,

I need to link a special Epic with a newly created issue by comparing two same fields of the epic and the issue.

Example:

A customer creates a new support issue and types in his customer number in the custom field "customer number". The suitable epic for this customer has already been created and also contains the customer number in the custom field "customer number" and this also is contained in the epic summary.

When customer A1 creates its support ticket the epic of him has to be linked automatically. When customer B3 creates a support ticket, then its own epic has to be linked to the support issue automatically.

Is this possible with Automations?

Can anyone help me to solve this task?

Regards,
Tuna

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2021

Hi Tuna,

Yes, you should be able to do that with Automation for Jira. 

You can add a Branch using JQL after the trigger fires. The JQL would look like:

Project = ABC and updated >= startOfDay()

Then add an Advance Compare Condition under the Branch. It would look like this:

screenshot.png

Then add a new action for Link issues. It will look something like:

screenshot1.png

Tuna Altiparmak June 4, 2021

Hi John,

thanks a lot for the fast answer!

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me, because I don't use a branch. The whole automation process should be done in the support issue.

Furthermore the Epic must be linked in its right way as an Epic through the field Epic Link and not as a linked issue.

Best,

Tuna

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2021

Is there a reason you can't use a branch? Can you share the rule that you have so far? 

Tuna Altiparmak July 13, 2021

Hi John,

sorry for my late answer. Here is the working automation rule for my purpose.

Thanks again for the support.

Kind regards,

Tuna
Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-13 um 16.41.58.pngBildschirmfoto 2021-07-13 um 16.42.07.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events