How can I disable Gliffy for Jira and Confluence for specific users?

Elena Berridge December 21, 2017

I only want certain users to use Gliffy and am paying for a lot of people who don't use it at all but still have access. 

How can I work around this as my user count increases in size? 

Gliffy isn't relevant for all users so is there a way to pick and choose who is being charged for the service? 

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2018

Elena,

When purchasing add-ons, you will want to buy the license tier that matches the number of users you have licensed for your host application. For example, if you have a 25-user Confluence license, purchase the Confluence add-on at the 25-user tier. The add-on will only function if its license matches or exceeds the tier of the host application, even if only some of your licensed users need to use the add-on.

For JIRA, you must purchase the add-on license that matches the highest JIRA application tier. For example, if you have a 500-User JIRA Software license, and a 20-Agent JIRA ServiceDesk license, your JIRA add-ons must be at the 500-User level.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Shannon

Elena Berridge January 7, 2018

Thanks for your help Shannon!

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 8, 2018

You're welcome, Elena!

Take care, and kind regards,

Shannon

Mark_Holdread March 21, 2018

Shannon,

Does this hold true for Cloud?  I do not see an option for purchasing tiers.  It would seem to be an all or nothing thing.

Thanks,

Mark

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
March 21, 2018

Hi Mark,

It's the same for Cloud. The tier you purchase will need to match your number of licensed users for the product. Thus, if you have 10 Jira users, you would have 10 Gliffy users.

Let me know if you have any questions about that.
Shannon

Mark_Holdread March 21, 2018

Sorry.  I had misread.  I thought for Confluence you could license Gliffy for only certain users.

This tool is blowing out our budget.  Can't seem to find a way to get off it without losing the work we did.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
March 21, 2018

Mark,

Understood. Once an add-on is installed it's available to all users. This is the reason it's not possible to choose which users to bill for.

You can see a feature request for that here:

However, disabling Gliffy will not remove your diagrams and any work you've done. Have a look at the Gliffy Confluence FAQ:

What happens when I disable or unsubscribe from Gliffy for Confluence?

Unsubscribing from Gliffy for Confluence results in different behavior between Gliffy for Confluence Cloud and Gliffy for Confluence Server. In both cases, the following is applicable:

• Diagram files (both the .GLIFFY and .PNG) remain within the specific pages and spaces in which they were created, as diagrams are treated as attachments by Confluence
  • Diagram images (.PNG files) will still be viewable as images, and are snapshots of the most recent version of the associated diagrams

In the event the Gliffy license is no longer valid, but Gliffy is still installed, diagrams will function normally. You will still be able to view diagrams, however without a valid license, you will no longer be able to edit diagrams any longer.

Completely removing Gliffy will cause diagrams to no longer display, as this disables the macros associated with Gliffy diagrams. Gliffy software must still be installed for macros to function properly. If the software is removed, you can simply add the associated .PNG file to the page as an image, which would allow the diagram's latest state to be viewable.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events