How can I create tickets on a board, or in the backlog using automation?

Tim Kersten January 11, 2019

Once my project has a backlog, tickets that get created for the project automatically land in the backlog. I'd like to send them to the project board. Is there any way to do this?

Edit: Or how can I move them between backlog and project, via script, api or automation?

2 answers

0 votes
Hailey Buckingham January 20, 2020

Same question I have. If i'm actually _looking_ at the backlog page, then i can create new tickets in either the backlog or board, but it seems like everywhere else will default it to the backlog.  Even when we change ticket statuses, they just stay hidden in the backlog to everyone else. 

Would be nice to know if there's any way to change this behavior, or if there's any other (convenient) way to create tickets directly on the board.

0 votes
Brydie McCoy (CB)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2019

Hi Tim,

This will depend on what kind of project are you are working and how the board is configured?  Is it Software? Is it Kanban or Scrum? 

* For Scrum, you will need to set the sprint field for it to show up on the board.   The edit issue action allows you to select the active sprint for a board.

* For Kanban it is likely it needs to transition to a specific status to show up, e.g. 'ready for development'.  You can use the transition issue action for this.

* Otherwise it could be a JQL filter configured for the board that is controlling which issues show up.  In that case you need to figure out which extra fields need to be set to match the filter.  

If you like you can send through your specific configuration via a support request and I can look into it further. 

Cheers,
Brydie [Automation for Jira]

Tim Kersten January 15, 2019

Thanks Brydie.

It's a "next-gen" Software Project that has the Backlog feature enabled, but the Sprint feature disabled. It's not possible to specify custom JQL filters for "next-gen" Software Projects in Jira (as far as I can tell).

I've had to disable the Backlog feature for now so we don't miss new tickets.

Is this enough info to investigate the general case and help everyone who has a similar issue? If not, I'll open a support ticket.

Brydie McCoy (CB)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2019

Thanks for the extra info.

Unfortunately I'm not sure what controls whether an issue is on the Backlog or the Board for next-gen projects.

We might need someone from Atlassian to weigh-in here.  

Cheers,
Brydie [Automation for Jira]

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events