Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I create tickets on a board, or in the backlog using automation? Edited

Once my project has a backlog, tickets that get created for the project automatically land in the backlog. I'd like to send them to the project board. Is there any way to do this?

Edit: Or how can I move them between backlog and project, via script, api or automation?

2 answers

Hi Tim,

This will depend on what kind of project are you are working and how the board is configured?  Is it Software? Is it Kanban or Scrum? 

* For Scrum, you will need to set the sprint field for it to show up on the board.   The edit issue action allows you to select the active sprint for a board.

* For Kanban it is likely it needs to transition to a specific status to show up, e.g. 'ready for development'.  You can use the transition issue action for this.

* Otherwise it could be a JQL filter configured for the board that is controlling which issues show up.  In that case you need to figure out which extra fields need to be set to match the filter.  

If you like you can send through your specific configuration via a support request and I can look into it further. 

Cheers,
Brydie [Automation for Jira]

Thanks Brydie.

It's a "next-gen" Software Project that has the Backlog feature enabled, but the Sprint feature disabled. It's not possible to specify custom JQL filters for "next-gen" Software Projects in Jira (as far as I can tell).

I've had to disable the Backlog feature for now so we don't miss new tickets.

Is this enough info to investigate the general case and help everyone who has a similar issue? If not, I'll open a support ticket.

Thanks for the extra info.

Unfortunately I'm not sure what controls whether an issue is on the Backlog or the Board for next-gen projects.

We might need someone from Atlassian to weigh-in here.  

Cheers,
Brydie [Automation for Jira]

Same question I have. If i'm actually _looking_ at the backlog page, then i can create new tickets in either the backlog or board, but it seems like everywhere else will default it to the backlog.  Even when we change ticket statuses, they just stay hidden in the backlog to everyone else. 

Would be nice to know if there's any way to change this behavior, or if there's any other (convenient) way to create tickets directly on the board.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

New Cloud Apps Roundup - Spring 2021

Atlassian's marketplace partners have had a very productive start to 2021! Since our last roundup, our developer community has added over 160 new cloud apps to the Atlassian Marketplace to help you...

182 views 3 19
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you