How can I copy Xray Tests to a new Project, retaining all the Test Steps?

Peter Saunders July 26, 2019

I have 600+ tests defined in an old Xray/Jira project. I want to re-use these in a new project.

If I CLONE the tests, I do not get the Test Steps copied across.

If I MOVE the tests, I lose them from the old project and therefore lose the integrity of the Test Runs and Results.

There are too many to copy them all across individually with the current process which seems to be:

1. Clone all Xray Tests required in the new project

2. Add the Test Steps into the Clones, imported from each original Xray Test

3. Move the new Xray Tests to new project

1 answer

1 vote
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2021

Hi Peter,

I would export all the tests into csv with all the relevant fields that you need (especially the test steps fields). Do not move them, because you will lose the old projects information.  

Then import the test cases via the bulk import functionality. You will have to review how to input the test step details fields. 

Regards,

Fabian

Chris Kemp May 30, 2022

Wouldn't exporting to CSV lose all text formatting?

>>>sorry, I should have tried first!  It is good to see that the export includes formatting, and so the import is successful. 

NB I am searching for a way to copy test steps which I want to 'import' into multiple tests, retaining formatting.

>>>I have found that I can do this using an export to csv and the multi-step process of importing (in ALM, I could simply copy and paste straight from clipboard, so this is very cumbersome)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events