How can I clear the Resolution field in Jira Automation?

Łukasz Wójcik June 13, 2019

Use case: Issue was set as Done but the it was recognized some work still needs to be done. I know I can set it with post function in my workflow. But then I would need to create transitions from Done to every other step and I would like to avoid that. I'd like to use automation here but I have problems. The only action which is somehow related seems to be "Edit Issue fields". But then I can only set the Resolution to some value. There's no option to clear previously set value. How to achieve that? 

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2019

Hi Seba,

So we don't support clearing the resolution field with our 'Edit issue' action currently, mainly because Jira only supports clearing the resolution field through a workflow post-function: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-441

The edit API simply doesn't let you clear the resolution field.

Atlassian have also published  more info on this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/howto-bulk-clear-resolution-635896313.html

So I'm afraid for now the only option would be to add a transition in your Jira workflow with a post-function to clear the resolution field.  Then you could trigger this transition with an Automation rule (or any other way). 

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Andreas

Yeap, I know these steps and what I really wanted to avoid is 
"Repeat steps 2 and 3 for each status for which the Resolution field will need to be cleared."

But your answer is clear, thank you very much.

rajdeep_hazarika January 3, 2021

Hi @Łukasz Wójcik @andreas  ,

Would you be able to guide me how you achieved to trigger the "Transition" . The on;y option that i can see is the actual Transition to a Status .

Many thanks.

Cheers,

Raj

Łukasz Wójcik January 4, 2021

Helo Raj!

I meant Transition to Status. So it seems that Atlassian only allows you to manipulate the Resolution when status is being changed. And you can only do that by workflow. Very inconvenient. 

Considering all the answers in this subject you can see that there is no option to set automation so it allows you to manipulate this field directly. 

Cheers,

Łukasz

34 votes
Yaron Azar May 17, 2022

Can be cleared either on status transition post function - clear field value.

Or, via automation (advanced edit issue fields:
image.png

Efrat Noam June 8, 2022

wow!! great help! it worked!

Nick Thoman June 23, 2022

This should be also a solution. I had a user accidently close a ticket and our re-open workflow didn't reset the resolution to null. We fixed the workflow but needed to fix the old tickets he closed. Using this advanced edit field fixed the tickets that went through the incorrect workflow.

Thanks Yaron!

Andrew Renfroe June 29, 2022

This worked great. Thank you!

Sayan Kaiser July 27, 2022

Hi Yaron,

I am getting the following error :

(Could not find valid 'id' or 'name' in resolution object. (resolution))

Yaron Azar August 8, 2022

Hi,

If still relevant, send screenshot of the automation rule

Sayan Kaiser August 8, 2022

image.png

Yaron Azar August 10, 2022

@Sayan Kaiser 

Please note - 

In the EDIT block you selected Resolution field to be updated but with no value.
unselect it and lease only the additional fields to run.

Yaron Azar August 10, 2022

Untitled.png

Jeremy Jedlicka August 26, 2022

@Yaron Azar

I get the same error as @Sayan Kaiser 

I do not have the Resolution field selected.

Picture1.png

Like # people like this
David Harkins
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2022

@Jeremy Jedlicka 

Was you able to get this working?

I am getting the same error :-( 

Daniele Cerfeda May 11, 2023

@Yaron Azar 

I have tried that as well, and I am receiving the same error, even if I created an automation from scratch, with no field selected

salvinder.nagarro July 26, 2023

@Daniele Cerfeda @David Harkins @Jeremy Jedlicka

The only difference I see is an additional space required before null.
{
"fields": {
"Resolution": null
}
}

Like Mark B Wager likes this
Mark B Wager August 7, 2023

Yes, Salvinder, I agree. I tried it without the space and it fails.  With the space it works.  Note: I've found this true for other syntax in the Advanced Edit window, too. Be careful with your syntax.

Example:  "Resolution":<SPACE>null     WORKS!

{
    "fields": {  
        "Resolution": null
    }
}

Seems strange that this would work since the API doesn't support it, but heck - IT WORKS! So, I'm just glad we have a workaround. :)

Mark

P.S. I suggest the "Accepted Answer" should be updated to accept Yaron Azar's answer. They provide a very easy and working solution. (Thanks, Yaron!!)

Like # people like this
Daniele Cerfeda August 7, 2023

@salvinder.nagarro @Mark B Wager  Still doesn't work for me:

Automation.pngResolution.png

Marc Thayer October 6, 2023

@Daniele Cerfeda Did you ever get it working?

Daniele Cerfeda October 6, 2023

@Marc Thayernope...

Hamzah Mohamed January 29, 2024

Worked for me. The key was to use just null and not "null" with quotes, and I'm using Cloud. Based on your screenshot it might be that you are looking for an answer to server/DC?

Michael Wohlgemuth
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2024

@Yaron Azar i love you rn. just saying. thanks for this :D

oh and btw: this did not work for me for 5 of 6 issues i had with a wrong resolution. the ONE it worked on was in a blue category (In Progress) status. the 5 where it did produce an error were in a status of green category (Done). I changed the category of the status to grey (To Do) and then it worked for these 5 issues without ANY other change. Keep that in mind. The status category seems to have effects unknown (to me at least).

1 vote
Guillaume Outters January 21, 2022
1 vote
Sebastian Krzewiński
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2019

Hi @Łukasz Wójcik 

Indeed, in Automation for JIRA add-on there is no chance to clear field resolution.

Correct me if I'm wrong but do you want to clear resolution field and leave this issue in Done status? Are you sure that is correct procedure to reopen issues? Best practises (also Atlassian reccomend these) are that resolution field should be set during transition to last status and clear resolution when issue is transition from last status (in your case Done status).

In cases where I have to modify resolutions in bulk (e.g. wrong resolution, issue is not in Done status but resolution is set) I create a "loop tranistion" (e.g. from Done to Done like in your case) and set function to clear resolution. Then I transition this issues using loop.

I know, this is not an automatic solution but, as I mention, in my workflows when user reopen issue status is changed and resolution is cleared.

Regards,

Seba

Hi Seba,

Correct me if I'm wrong but do you want to clear resolution field and leave this issue in Done status? 

No, in my case issue should go to some other state. Cases which I try to cover is mostly when somebody accidentally moved the item to Done. In our workflow it is possible to go to Done from any of the statuses.
Example case: I've moved the item from Testing to Done then I realized I moved wrong item or moved it too fast but there are still some cases to check or any other scenario which explains the work still need to be done. I am able to move the item back because my workflow allow me to do that. By the resolution is not cleared at this moment. As I said, I know hot to clear it just in Jira but the only solution I see is creating several transitions. I try to avoid that and use Automation here. But Automation seems to lack "Clear field value" option...

Like Deleted user likes this
Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 26, 2020

I'm in the same situation as Lukasz. I have multiple workflows which use "From All Status" transitions.  So in order to clear Resolution when an issue is moved out of the Done status, for example, I have to add a post function to every transition (except one), across all workflows. I can use automation to edit the Resolution, but not to clear it. It seems like a very unfortunate design decision by Atlassian to disallow this. Incidently, we use the JSU Automation Suite plugin to enable clearing the Resolution in a transition post-function.

Jordan Duggan November 23, 2020

This is really frustrating. In the old UI, I can see and change resolution status, but I can't clear it. In the new UI, I can see the resolution value, but not change it or clear. So when the resolution value is incorrectly set (because a story that was marked done was re-opened), the incorrect value just sits there taunting me. This is a very common occurrence and it's absurd that a value can be changed by automation but not manually. 

Like # people like this
Tim Perrault
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2022

@Jordan DugganCouldn't you just put the resolution field on the edit screen? I mean I wouldn't, but the suggesting of clearing the resolution on transition doesn't seem like a solution for you guys...

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 28, 2022

As I understand it, the Resolution field doesn't work like that. It can only be set during a transition. But that gives me an idea.

On second thought, never mind. My idea was to create a transition to clear the Resolution, and then trigger then transition from the automation. It honestly sounds like more trouble than its worth. 

Like David Harkins likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events