Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I clear the Resolution field in Jira Automation?

Use case: Issue was set as Done but the it was recognized some work still needs to be done. I know I can set it with post function in my workflow. But then I would need to create transitions from Done to every other step and I would like to avoid that. I'd like to use automation here but I have problems. The only action which is somehow related seems to be "Edit Issue fields". But then I can only set the Resolution to some value. There's no option to clear previously set value. How to achieve that? 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
andreas Community Leader Jun 13, 2019

Hi Seba,

So we don't support clearing the resolution field with our 'Edit issue' action currently, mainly because Jira only supports clearing the resolution field through a workflow post-function: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-441

The edit API simply doesn't let you clear the resolution field.

Atlassian have also published  more info on this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/howto-bulk-clear-resolution-635896313.html

So I'm afraid for now the only option would be to add a transition in your Jira workflow with a post-function to clear the resolution field.  Then you could trigger this transition with an Automation rule (or any other way). 

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Andreas

Yeap, I know these steps and what I really wanted to avoid is 
"Repeat steps 2 and 3 for each status for which the Resolution field will need to be cleared."

But your answer is clear, thank you very much.

Hi @Łukasz Wójcik 

Indeed, in Automation for JIRA add-on there is no chance to clear field resolution.

Correct me if I'm wrong but do you want to clear resolution field and leave this issue in Done status? Are you sure that is correct procedure to reopen issues? Best practises (also Atlassian reccomend these) are that resolution field should be set during transition to last status and clear resolution when issue is transition from last status (in your case Done status).

In cases where I have to modify resolutions in bulk (e.g. wrong resolution, issue is not in Done status but resolution is set) I create a "loop tranistion" (e.g. from Done to Done like in your case) and set function to clear resolution. Then I transition this issues using loop.

I know, this is not an automatic solution but, as I mention, in my workflows when user reopen issue status is changed and resolution is cleared.

Regards,

Seba

Hi Seba,

Correct me if I'm wrong but do you want to clear resolution field and leave this issue in Done status? 

No, in my case issue should go to some other state. Cases which I try to cover is mostly when somebody accidentally moved the item to Done. In our workflow it is possible to go to Done from any of the statuses.
Example case: I've moved the item from Testing to Done then I realized I moved wrong item or moved it too fast but there are still some cases to check or any other scenario which explains the work still need to be done. I am able to move the item back because my workflow allow me to do that. By the resolution is not cleared at this moment. As I said, I know hot to clear it just in Jira but the only solution I see is creating several transitions. I try to avoid that and use Automation here. But Automation seems to lack "Clear field value" option...

I'm in the same situation as Lukasz. I have multiple workflows which use "From All Status" transitions.  So in order to clear Resolution when an issue is moved out of the Done status, for example, I have to add a post function to every transition (except one), across all workflows. I can use automation to edit the Resolution, but not to clear it. It seems like a very unfortunate design decision by Atlassian to disallow this. Incidently, we use the JSU Automation Suite plugin to enable clearing the Resolution in a transition post-function.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

5 mobile apps for Jira Cloud to boost productivity

It’s very important to have access to the workflow process from anywhere. Especially if you manage the work of others. There is no difference whether you’re out of office, or drive a ca...

203 views 2 5
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you