How can I automate the clone of issues with attachments to another project?

Daniela Oliveira December 18, 2020

I need to move issues from the Designer's board to the Developer's project automatically.

I would like to create a rule that does the following:

Designer adds issue to Done column > Deep clones issue (with attachments) to developers' project backlog.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2020

Hi Daniela - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You currently cannot do that with Automation for Jira (that being that you cannot use Deep Clone with the Automation for Jira tool).

But you can call Deep Clone using a post function in your workflow on the transition to Done. That's what we do.

Thank you  @John Funk 

Could you please tell me the steps to do it so I can try it?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2020

Sure - Go to Settings > Issues > Workflows

Search for the Workflow and click on Edit

Click on the transition where you would like to do the Deep Clone. This will popup a  box to the right. Click on Post functions

Then Click on Add Post function

Then Select Deep Clone and follow the prompts there. 

Like # people like this

Thanks for helping out @John Funk 

I did that but for some reason, I can't find the deep clone in the developers' project. 

When I transition the ticket to the Done Column in the Designers' board, does it deep link automatically to the Developers' board? Do I need to take some additional action?

Nevermind! It worked @John Funk 

I didn't hit publish, that's why.

Thank you so much!

Like John Funk likes this

Sorry, I have another question now. How could I set the deep clone to be unassigned?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 18, 2020

You could add a post function on the Create transition of the workflow to clear out the Assignee field. But that will override any value put in at create time. That works for us, because we do not assign issues at create time. 

Other than that, you will probably have to add an Automation rule to clear the Assignee and add the appropriate conditions you want. 

Like # people like this

Thank you sooooo muchhh @John Funk 

Your comments were incredibly helpful!!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 18, 2020

Great - glad I could help :-)

Daniela Oliveira March 16, 2021

@John Funk Hello! Hope you're well!

When I transition an issue from one project to another through post functions in a workflow to keep deep cloning, what happens to the original issue?

Is there any way to delete the original issue permanently to avoid messing with the story points of a sprint?

Thanks in advance :)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 17, 2021

Hi @Daniela Oliveira  - See my answer on your other post.  :-)

Johnson Aduri July 9, 2021

@John Funk  Thanks for your help.  

Go to Settings > Issues > Workflows

Search for the Workflow and click on Edit

Click on the transition where you would like to do the Deep Clone. This will popup a  box to the right. Click on Post functions

Then Click on Add Post function

Then Select Deep Clone and follow the prompts there. 

I don't see Deep Clone in the post function. I am using Jira Cloud. snipping.PNG

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2021

See my update on your other post.  :-)

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events