How can I add JIRA organizations and customers to Insight objects?

Arjan Schrijver November 29, 2017

I'm working on a new installation that combines JIRA Service Desk and Insight Asset Management for JIRA.
For my use case, I would like to attach JIRA organizations and JIRA customers to Insight objects. The most obvious would be to edit the object attributes and add a new attribute for this, but that doesn't work.
I could of course create a Customer object in Insight and attach that to my Service Desk issues through a custom field, but I wouldn't be able to use Service Desk's features with regards to customers and emails.

Can you please tell me what the correct way would be to do this?
Thank you in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Alexander Sundström
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2017

Hi Arjan,

What do you mean with 

For my use case, I would like to attach JIRA organizations and JIRA customers to Insight objects. The most obvious would be to edit the object attributes and add a new attribute for this, but that doesn't work.
I could of course create a Customer object in Insight and attach that to my Service Desk issues through a custom field, but I wouldn't be able to use Service Desk's features with regards to customers and emails.

Insight does not have attributes that corresponds to Organizations, but we do have for Customers (by that I mean JIRA users). So if you mean that Organizations can't be used, that is correct. That could however be done using our DB import, where you would target the tables representing the organisations and create objects based on them. it might be a bit tricky, but it can be done.

if you would attach your Insight object to a custom field, what kind

Service Desk's features with regards to customers and emails.

Could not be used?

Best Regards
Alexander

Arjan Schrijver November 30, 2017

Hi Alexander,

Thank you for your answer.

My goal is to be able to assign an organization to both tickets and certain Insight objects. I could then use the same organization to either search for tickets or Insight objects.

I would also like to be able to assign specific people from those organizations to my tickets and Insight objects.

JIRA already has Organizations and Customers, so I was hoping to be able to use those in Insight without duplicating the data and doubling the maintenance.

My reference to "customers and emails" meant that I want to use JIRA's feature "Request participants" where JIRA can send an email on certain actions. Since I can use customers (as long as they are in a group), this will work fine for me.

Kind regards,

Arjan

Like Elena Lurye likes this
Elena Lurye July 9, 2022

I am looking for the same functionality..

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events