How Power Designs Inc use AI Insights for Team Work and Sentiment Analysis

Today we talk with Josh from Power Designs Inc and how he leads both his experience team and support team with a clear focus on automation of their current workload. Josh fills us in on how he is using AI Insights for teamwork and sentiment analysis to ensure he is always receiving non-biased data from customer interactions and making all support resquests easier for both parties.

3e17f217-756a-45ec-b9e9-a1d699c4fec1.png

Power Designs Inc focus on Design Build, Design Assist, Systems & Lighting Distribution.

Izymes: Can you give me a quick overview of Power Design Inc and your role?

Josh: Yes - I'm the director of technology experience at Power Design. I have a team of fifteen other individuals, three of those are on the Experience team and then nine of them are really part of IT support and another three are in logistics which we actually have combined so we do physical tasks and mailing and printing and shipping. I look at the Support Team more as a reactive element - so after an issue occurs. My Experience team is more on the proactive side, trying to stop the issue from ever occurring again - so they're focused on enhancements and improvements - that type of thing - to mitigate and eliminate issues - whereas if an issue does occur, the support team is there to help. I have a pretty strong focus on making sure problems aren’t repeated.

Most of our tickets, somewhere between six and twelve percent are initiated by us in a proactive manner…. I'll give an example: We have alerts set up that notify IT if someone's hard disk has less than ten gigs of free space. The alert automatically generates a ticket so that we can help in the background and maybe clear out some temp folders or something like that - possibly even upgrade their hard drives or if it's deemed necessary, insure outlook is archiving effectively. Basically, attempting to free up disk space for that person because if they have less than ten gigs, then pretty soon they’ll have a problem and a ticket will be coming our way. If we can solve it for them before they even realize they have a problem - then that’s a win for the user and our team.

“My Experience team is more on the proactive side, trying to stop the issue from ever occurring again “

We are focused on automation and that experience is really what drove us to your product because you can have a transactional “how did we do on this service” survey - but that’s putting more work on our customer, because they have to provide that feedback… but also, people want to be nice! They know the Support Agent is helping them and they don't want to say, “Hey you did a horrible job” - so they might not tell us the truth when it comes to their service experience. Using machine learning, we might actually pick up on their true sentiment and discover that they're actually kind of frustrated.

596327d0-d60a-4bfd-9a0f-4efcbc506b3e.png

Team work is one of our core values - others are accountability, integrity, innovation and growth. We are definitely a very innovative company. A lot of people say we're kind of the Google of construction. If you come to the campus - we've got electric scooters to get around on and electronic vending machines etc. It’s definitely a ‘play hard - work-hard' environment.

Izymes: Could you please tell me how you found out about AI Insights and your perception of what you hoped the product might achieve for Power Design Inc? Are there any high level initiatives or goals that prompted you to try the app?

Josh: Yes - so for me the decision to integrate sentiment analysis into our workflow was really driven by the desire to improve the user experience. So I believe, pretty wholeheartedly that the easier you make something for people, the better their experience is going to be… that's pretty much one of the main tenants of CX, EX and XM. I think any XM principle framework you want to use tries to make the user experience simple and easier - and that makes the experience better.

I was at a Help Desk Institute (HDI) conference which is the US equivalent to the European Service Desk Institute (SDI) and we were talking about user experiences and sentiment analysis came into the conversation. It just seemed like a really good way to be able to figure out what the customer wants without having the burden placed on them. The customer gets a better experience because I can hear exactly what you like and what you don't like - and do more of what you like and less of what you don't like. So I can improve the overall service without having to ask “Hey what did you think of our service today?”.

“So I believe, pretty wholeheartedly that the easier you make something for people, the better their experience is going to be…”

I use surveys throughout the year for transactional data. I think that is where this tool comes in handy because I'm going to have some people post a ticket to the help desk every single day and they're often not going to fill out the survey - or it's always going to be five stars.

4f9c37e4-7b23-4671-8c75-d53c20036e7d.jpeg

Izymes: How long have you been using the app? How many people at Power Design inc use the app or the data it produces? What problems does AI Insights solve for you?

Josh: So the data the App produces is instrumentally used by my team as a reporting tool. We are working on dashboards for the company that utilizes the AI Insights data. We also sit down monthly with different business stakeholders and let them know the sentiment trends and this is part of that proactive effort to try and improve before problems occur.

We can also drill down into frustrated comments and we also provide a Net Promoter Score (NPS) based on customer sentiment. So if a customer is excited we consider them to be a raving fan or a promoter - and if they're frustrated or sad we basically treat them as a detractor - and everyone else falls in the passive category. We then use this score as a benchmark for improvement and can provide that data to our stakeholders. We’ve been using the software since January 2022.

639ca777-7d69-4bac-9acc-a566dbbef2b1.jpeg

Izymes: Since using AI Insights, can you measure any improvements in productivity or time savings?

Josh: We are still in the infancy of utilizing the data…. to be honest with you I do think it's given us better insight into the customer experience but I don't know if we've really had an opportunity to take advantage of the insight it's provided to increase any productivity or anything along those lines. I have used it once or twice as a training tool. You could probably argue that our level of service may have improved slightly but I don’t currently have anything measurable or quantitative to give you. We are using it more as a reporting tool at the moment.

Our customers are all internal so we are an employee service desk. Our customers don't really have the option to leave - they could abandon their issue I guess but if they want us to fix their problems they are stuck with us. We're using sentiment analysis to improve the overall level of satisfaction that folks have.

To give you a little bit of background, about three years ago our IT department was not well thought of… and we've done a lot to switch that around. So sentiment analysis is part of our continued journey to improve the perception of our team.

Izymes: What is the feature or part of our product that you or your team use most frequently? Why?

Josh: The sentiment tracking custom field is the feature I use the most for sure. I can query the field inside of Jira and generate reports - so for me that's probably the most valuable element.

Izymes: Do you have any feature requests or suggestions for our team?

Josh: Something I've been thinking about is an agent score. potentially analyzing are providing a skill level for agent communication. The agent should never pop up as frustrated. We never want to respond to the customer that way - so possibly a communication or experience score so that the agent could track and monitor their communications. A preemptive warning would also be great. If sentiment analysis could be carried out before a comment is submitted, like a Grammarly type of function, the sentiment tracker could read it before the comments were committed I don't know if that's possible you know almost like a Grammarly type of thing where the software could warn the agent if a comment was deemed ‘frustrated’ and give them the opportunity to rethink their comment. This way sentiment analysis could better inform dialogue strategies.

“I’d much rather know the truth about how my customers feel.”

Izymes: How would you describe how our app has assisted Power Design Inc in one sentence?

Josh: This tool has provided insight into our customers true feelings.

I’ve never been a big fan of the five point star scale. I mean people are always going to be prompted to give 5 stars. I didn’t want us to promote that kind of culture. I’d much rather know the truth about how my customers feel. We need honest feedback to improve.

Izymes: How would you describe AI Insights if you were explaining it to a friend?

Josh: It looks at the social cues for how text is put together and can infer how someone's actually feeling regardless of the words they use and that's kind of what this App does.

Izymes: It's been an absolute pleasure talking with you Josh, the way you have implemented new technologies to help better your internal team ecosystem is incredible. They are very lucky to have you!

Sounds like we have some more features to build :slight_smile:

AI Insights for Jira Service Management is available on the Atlassian Marketplace.

Try AI Insights for free or get in touch for a demo

1 comment

Comment

Carmen Nadeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2022

Really interesting,

Would the AI only works with english language ? What about french language ? or what about a bilingual cie ? How would that works ?

Carmen

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events