Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How Can I automatically assign users in the "Acceptance Tester(s)" fields?

Edited

How Can I automatically assign users in the "Acceptance Tester(s)" fields once issue is transiting from "QA Done" Status to "UAT" ? I have added a automation rule as "When Transition from QA Done To UAT THEN Acceptance Tester(s): <give the list of users>" problem with this rule is that when issue is transitioning from QA Done to UAT, all Acceptance testers will get assigned to this issue...i need UAT testers randomly get assigned as Acceptance Testers on the issue. Any idea how to do that? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk Community Leader Oct 28, 2020

Hi Amruta,

Yes, you can do that using Automation for Jira. Here is some information to help get you started:

There are two types of automation:

• Global: In the Free version, you get 100 executions per product, per month
  • Project: In all versions, you get unlimited executions per month

Automation Basics: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/expand-jira/automation

You can do this via global rules to apply to all projects also. You'll need to be a Jira Admin/Site Admin, go to Jira Settings > System > Automation Rules (left-hand menu).

For more on using Automation For Jira see these help pages.

Thank you @John Funk for your response. I have applied the rule. I need Acceptance testers to be randomly selected the from list. Currently rule will assign, issue to all acceptance testers

Can you share the rule? You should use the Assign issue action and not just do an update to the Assignee field. 

Like Amruta Pelapkar likes this

I have created rule like this:   

WHEN: Issue Transitioned From "QA" to "UAT"

THEN: Edit issue fields "Acceptance Tester(s)" 

This rule will assign all Acceptance testers to the issue....I need Acceptance testers to be randomly selected from the list.

I saw this can be done when we need to change the assignee of the ticket. where we can give "Smart Values" and can select "Random" for the given users list. but I want this behaviour to be happened at the time of assignment of the acceptance testers to the ticket. Any idea is it possible?

I do not think you can do that with custom fields - just the Assignee.

What if you assigned it with Random with the assignee field, and then copied that value to the Acceptance Tester field. Then you could set the assignee back to another value or mark it unassigned if needed. 

In the solution you mentioned @John Funk , I am thinking how can I assign issue back to original assignee (as you mentioned in the second part) . because that value will be lost while I am assigning ticket to UAT testers (as you mentioned in the first part)

John Funk Community Leader Oct 29, 2020

You might need to copy that value to another custom field first then (single user picker type) and then copy it back from there. 

This approach may not fit in our current project as change in assignee will trigger the notification mails at organizational global level and this may cause un-necessarily alarming situation after the issue has half way through the release.

Is there any JSON solution? Where we can create an array of UAT testers and using some Math.floor() and Math.random()  function on that array, to choose the users randomly for that field.

John Funk Community Leader Oct 30, 2020

That is not something I am well versed in so I won't be any help with that area. The other option might be to do all of those functions above in my suggestion when the card gets created and before it is assigned to a real person for the first step. 

Thank you @John Funk  for your help. I am still exploring different ways to achieve this with the minimal impact on global level project.

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Apps & Integrations

🍻🍂Apptoberfest Update: Upcoming Virtual Events 🎉

Hello Community! I hope you've been enjoying the 🍂Apptoberfestivities🍂 (I know I have!) The event is heating up next week with a series of virtual events that we're calling the 🍻🍂Partner App ...

421 views 3 18
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you