Has anyone had any experience with the Azure Import module for Insight?

Rob April 9, 2020

I am attempting to test out the Azure Import module that you can download for Insight, but not having a lot of success. I can get the import setup following the documentation on Mindville's website and the test config is successful. But when it gets to setting up the configuration, I get stuck.

I tried having Insight create the predefined configuration. That just spun all night long and never seemed to produce anything. When I try and manually create the config, it doesn't find anything for the data locator.

Just looking to see if anyone else has had struggles with trying to import Azure information into your CMDB or what tricks they might have found.

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Bjoern A. October 16, 2020

Hi Rob, have you had any success in the meantime or have you given up your attempts?

I'm trying to get the import module running, but the test connection has already failed.

I am happy about every helpful hint

Rob October 16, 2020

Bjoern,

Yes, I did end up having success. But only after Mindville was able to make some updates to their software. It appeared to be having some kind of java issue and would time out. After they gave me a new version (which is older than the currently released version), then it all worked out great.

When you mention the test connection is failing, are you talking about during the setup where you can test the connection, after you enter all of your application IDs, subscription IDs, etc.?

Bjoern A. October 16, 2020

HI Rob,

thanks for the feedback. Yes I am talking about the setup where I add subscription directoiry application id and secret.

Meanwhile I am waiting on our Firewall guys checking if the requested rules allowing the server going outside to azure are implemented as requested. If in the end this was the issue, a pity about the time, but the certainty to have done everything right is also ok.

In the end did the module meet your requirements? My goal is to read the data from our Intune managed mobile devices (cellphone, tablets) and import it into Insight. 

Rob October 16, 2020

Bjoern,

Funny you mention InTune. I am just starting to attempt that portion. I have so far just been using it for my VMs, subscriptions, NSGs, etc.

I did one pass at InTune and it did not work very well in terms of bringing in the InTune devices. I reached out to Mindville and they told me 2 things. One, I needed to setup the Azure Graph Data, which I did not realize would be needed for InTune. The other item, they had to provide me with a beta version of the Azure import module as Microsoft recently moved the InTune management from the normal azure portal over to their new Endpoint Manager Center, or whatever it is called.

I haven't went in and setup the graph data yet to try out the beta release they gave me. So I am guessing even if your firewall gets sorted out, the InTune devices might not come in right until they release their new version. But that is just a guess at this point.

Bjoern A. October 19, 2020

Hi Rob,

it ended up as a firewall issue. Our network team implemented required rules for the "insight" server incomplete. Now I was able to complete the setup and connect successful to Azure.

With the current release 1.7.2 I successful fetched the data from Intune. I think documentation about required Azure Graph Data had been updated recently too.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events