Graphviz 2.1.1 "No useable executable" and Graphviz.app 2.36 incompatible?

David Mittman (Personal) February 27, 2014

Working through installation problems with the Graphviz plugin. First symptom:

Error rendering macro 'digraph' : No useable executable name defined in graphviz.properties

However, it's not exactly what you might think (the intermitent memory problem). I'm not sure if the Graphviz plugin is getting 'dot' from Graphviz.app or the /usr/local/bin. The 'graphviz.properties' file lists this path for dot:

/Applications/Graphviz.app/Contents/MacOS/dot

However, that file does not exist. This file does exist in graphviz-2.36.0:

/Applications/Graphviz.app/Contents/MacOS/Graphviz

If I copy that Graphviz file to a file named dot, then the "No useable executable" error goes away. However, the graphs fail to render: I either get a "hung" page load or (in the case of the macro selection dialog) an infinite spinning "wait" indicator.

I'm running Atlassian Confluence 5.4.3 standalone on OS X 10.9.2 (fully updated) and Graphviz Plugin version 2.1.1. I didn't want to start fooling with other settings (such as memory allocated to Tomcat) until it was clear that this dot/Graphiz file name wasn't a sign of a basic incompatibility.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
David Mittman (Personal) February 27, 2014

I've solved my problem. Although I was able to run 'dot' from the command line, I'm using the OS X 'launchd' system, which requires that I set Confluence's PATH in the 'launchd_wrapper.sh' script that is used to start and stop the standalone's Tomcat instance.

0 votes
MAJ June 12, 2017

I'm running Confluence 5.9.11 and using the "yum" installer I'm unable to get the Graphviz software to install. Does anyone know if there is a solution to this problem? I'm using CentOS 

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2014

Not sure I understand exactly your situation. Normally, the default install (OSX or other) works fine as long as the path used by the Confluence server includes access to the executable. Can dot be run from a command line?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events