Gliffy diagrams permanently linked when Confluence pages copied

Camouflage December 13, 2021
I've used the Copy option in Confluence to create a new page which will build upon the content of the original page, but needs to be a separate entity. When Gliffy diagrams are updated on the new page, they are also being updated on the original page, and vice-versa. How do you ensure these changes do not appear on the original page (and vice versa). Despite renaming all components, the pages and all components on them seem to be permanently linked, whereas I need them to be separate entities.

1 answer

0 votes
Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2021

Hi!

Please see the graphic on the bottom of this page in our documentation — you should be able to click on the ellipses of the diagram macro on your page and then select "unlink diagram": https://help.gliffy.com/confluence/Content/GliffyConfluence/Inserting-existing-diagram.htm

If that doesn't work, you could trying inserting a new diagram, selecting "Search for a Template" and using the existing diagram as a template for the new diagram. Make sure the "link to original diagram" box is unchecked. 

Please let me know if neither of those work!

Camouflage December 13, 2021

Hi Samie, thanks for your response. The second option works (inserting a new diagram and deleting the one originally copied as part of the page copy), but I'd consider that to be a workaround. Re the preferred first option, why do I get the message "Diagram with this name exists in page" or even "There was an error on the server while unlinking the diagram" when I press "Unlink Diagram"?

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2021

I'm not sure, but thank you so much for the extra detail! I let our team know that you're getting that error message when you try to use the unlink button.

Curt Schwaderer April 28, 2023

Hi - the "Diagram with this name exists in page" error is still there - can this be fixed?

I did a copy of an existing page that has a Gliffy diagram and renamed it - let's call it "Page 2" for convenience.

If I change page 2's diagram, it changes the diagram on the page I copied from.

When I do the "unlink" as described above, it gives me the "Diagram with same name exists in page" error.

The discussion above said you can delete the diagram from the new page - but will that delete the diagram from the old page? I don't want to try it because if it does I will have lost a ton of work!

Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2023

Hi @Curt Schwaderer , so sorry for the delayed response. 

Deleting the diagram from the new page will not remove it from the old page! The diagram is stored in the attachments on your old page. My recommendation would be to use the following steps:

1. Duplicate your existing page
  2. Remove the diagram on the new page
  3. Type "/gliffy" to go through the process of adding a new diagram to your page
  4. Use the "Search for a diagram" option in the upper left to find the diagram you want on the page.
  5. Make sure the "Link to Original Diagram" box is unchecked. If it is, the blue button will say "Use as a Template". Click!
  6. Modify the diagram as needed for your new page.

Please feel free to @ mention me or email support@gliffy.com if these steps don't work for you.

Samie

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events