• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage
Highlighted

Foxly - Backlog Prioritization for Jira support forum

Start a conversation with our team about improving Foxly. Raise bugs, ask for features and post questions. Every comment is welcome here

9 comments

I'm wondering if you can restrict Foxly by a project?  Only our Product/Dev teams need access to this plugin, but I'm assuming we will get charged for all our Jira users?

Hello!

Yes, that is correct. That's how Jira licensing works, there's no option to specify how many users will use the app, it will charge for all your users. We made it affordable, with only $0.40/user per month so hopefully, it wouldn't be too much of spending for your organization. Also the need for work backlog prioritization in Jira is is a common need for any department and team and possible that some of your other functions might find the tool useful. 

Hope this helps
Biro

I'm getting an error and the screen won't load

Error! GraphQL error: There was an error

We got the error in our logs looking at it and I will email you as soon as we have a fix for that in a few moments. 

Thanks so much

This is fixed now. Apologies, a small issue when clearing issue metric values.

Hi there, 

Is there a way to do the following: 

• Auto update Jira priority based on score
  • Show the score on the Jira card in backlog and board view. Preferably with color coding 

Hello,

We’re planning to introduce a custom field called “Priority Score“ that will get updated by our app with the issue score. You will then be able to use this field in automation logic and on cards. We’re planning to deliver this quick, in the next couple of weeks along with a bundle of other small improvements.

I will update you here as well once released.

Thank you

Like Noureldin Ali likes this

Great thanks you so much and eagerly looking forward to it.

Hi @Noureldin Ali ,

the Foxly Priority Score is now available as a custom field in Jira. This will allow you to show the value of this field on kanban but also use it in Automation for Jira.

Here is an article where you can see an example of how to automatically update Issue Priority based on Foxly Priority Score 👉 https://jexo.io/blog/3-tips-for-better-backlog-management-in-jira-with-foxly/

We also introduced an option to store metrics as a custom field that can help you with connecting Jira fields (eg. Story points) with Foxly metrics (eg. Effort). 👉 Read how to set this field up 

Like Noureldin Ali likes this

Also I'm unable to set value less than "1" for label metrics.

Not sure if you referring to negative numbers or decimals. Negative numbers should work but decimals are not available at the moment. Also, you can't set 0 value, this is by design to avoid issues in the formula calculations.

Hi @Noureldin Ali ,

we recently released an improvement to support decimal numbers in Foxly. You can now store any number up to 3 decimal points (Negative numbers and zero as well of course 😉)

Hello!

Do you plan to add the ability to filter backlog tasks by epic value? This will help a lot. Now you have the ability to filter by issue type, metric, status, version, label, assignee and component but not by epic.

Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for the question. This is currently on our backlog to implement in one of the upcoming releases. We are discussing to potentially enable JQL filtering to give you additional flexibility. I will notify as soon as we launch the additional filter.

Hi @Dmitry Muskhabov ,

we just launched a new JQL filter in Foxly.

jql-filters-pijen.png

This will allow you to filter the Priority table in Foxly by anything you can possibly JQL in the current project. Foxly also remembers JQL you last used, so you don't need to type it every time to access the app :)

Here is a link to the documentation.

There are some additional improvements we need to do to make it more user friendly, but I hope it unblocks you for now.

Would love to be able to filter by Sprint :) 

Hi @Evan Anselmi ,

this is coming really soon!

We're working on Advanced filters in Foxly priority table that will enable JQL search. You would be able to filter by almost anything, including custom fields :)

Awesome! 

Another thought I had. We have different Weighting’s for our metrics e.g “Benefits existing customer” might have a 2x multiple on the selected value because it’s more important than say, “Increases site traffic” which is only the standard selected value. 

Curious to know if you have scoped this ability to add a weighting? 

Thanks!

I'll try to answer with an example, let me know if I understood it correctly :)

In your prioritization template, you have 2 metrics: Benefits existing customer and Increases site traffic

Your scoring formula is calculated as follows: Benefits existing customer + Increases site traffic

To increase the weight of Benefits existing customer 2 times you can change your scoring formula to:

0.7*Benefits existing customer + 0.3*Increases site traffic

(In this case, we'll distribute the weights across your metrics and when we add them together they'll give 1)

So by adjusting formula should do the trick.

Let me know if that works for you or you have bit more complex formula and set of metrics.

That is correct :) 

Thought it might be nice to have value box that multiples the selected value, without the need to adjust the formula. Very much a "nice to have" though. 

Switching between metric types - labels, text, rating while retaining the same values is probably another nice to have. 

Also, to avoid re-entering metric formats, a duplicate button would be great.

Thanks!

E

Perfect 👌  you can try formula adjustment for now then.

I noted the suggestions you gave to make sure we include them in future sprints :)

Thanks!

A small bug that keep popping up regarding the order of the values. Would be great if they remained constant between the configuration view and drop down :) 

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 8.48.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-24 at 8.48.14 AM.png

And just curiously, is it possible to still calculate the priority scores when using labels? Even if only some of the labels are selected because they may not be relevant? I notice that unless I select all the label metrics the score will not calculate.

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 10.23.41 AM.png

Hi @Evan Anselmi

to calculate the score you need to fill all metrics that are used to calculate this score.

If it's possible that some of your metrics aren't always applicable you can create a new label in these metric with the name "not applicable" and assign a value that would make sense (0 or 1 depending on how your formula looks).

The reason we didn't decide to do this skipping programmatically (for now) is that every customer might have different formulas and different needs and this way we satisfy majority camps :)

In your case, it might be good to have this "not applicable" label so you know that you already assessed the metric but it just wasn't valid instead of just having no value for your metric. It might look like an assignment of the value was forgotten.

Let me know if this approach would work for you.

Hi @Evan Anselmi 

we just launched the JQL filter as promised so you should be able to filter priority table by Sprint now.

sql-search.png

This will also allow you to filter the Priority table by anything you can possibly JQL in the current project. Foxly also remembers JQL you last used, so you don't need to type it every time to access the app :)

Here is a link to the documentation.

There are some additional improvements we need to do to make it more user friendly, but I hope it unblocks you for now.

Hi @Nikki Zavadska _jexo_ 

Yes, I have applied a 0 value label as a solution.

Amazing, thank you. Will check it out now.

E

Like Nikki Zavadska _jexo_ likes this

Hi team,

Not sure why my formula score is not calculating? As shown, when I change Effort to 13. It holds its score, even after refreshing. All other ideas are divided by 1.

Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 6.45.58 PM.png

Formula as shown:

({{Strategy Alignment}}*1)+({{Market Size}}*1)+({{ Benefits Customer}}*1)+({{Reduce Churn}}*1)+({{Viral co-efficient }}*1)+({{Return on Investment}}*1)+({{Cost Saving}}*1)+({{Core Revenue}}*1)+({{Additional Revenue}}*1)+({{AP Traffic}}*1)+({{AP Engagement}}*1)+({{AP Conversions}}*1)+({{Design aesthetic }}*1)+({{Competitive advantage}}*1)+({{Clients Site Conversions}}*1)/{{Effort}}

Any tips?

Thanks,

E

Hi @Evan Anselmi

I had a look on the formula and it looks like you're adding all metrics together and you're dividing only the last one "Clients Site Conversions" with Effort.

Depending on what your other values are it might be possible that Effort doesn't have much weight in your formula score calculation because of that.

If you wanted to divide all the metrics with the effort you can try to change to this formula and see if anything changes:

(({{Strategy Alignment}}*1)+({{Market Size}}*1)+({{ Benefits Customer}}*1)+({{Reduce Churn}}*1)+({{Viral co-efficient }}*1)+({{Return on Investment}}*1)+({{Cost Saving}}*1)+({{Core Revenue}}*1)+({{Additional Revenue}}*1)+({{AP Traffic}}*1)+({{AP Engagement}}*1)+({{AP Conversions}}*1)+({{Design aesthetic }}*1)+({{Competitive advantage}}*1)+({{Clients Site Conversions}}*1))/{{Effort}}

If it still doesn't work out, could you please let me know what metric values you set for the issue and I'll validate if the formula is calculated right? Thank you :)

Hi,

I am trying to use Jira Automation to automatically set the EFFORT (set up as a custom field) to that of a field we already have in Jira for capturing the effort. I can't quite get it to work, the closest I have when testing is this JSON 'script' as part of the edit issue option within Automation

{ “fields”: {“customfield_10360": [{“name”: “issue.customfield_10027"}]} }

10360 is the Foxly Effort field (label) and 10027 is the t-shirt size field already in use.

Any ideas on how to do this please?

Hi @Morris Coyle ,

I'm happy to see you're setting up automation with Foxly custom fields. There are 2 ways you can go about it.

1. If the Jira custom field doesn't have exact same values as Foxly fields.

Eg: In Effort Jira custom field you're setting values like Medium, Small, Large

And Foxly has these values: XS, S, M, L.

Then you need to define exactly how values should be mapped with branch rules.
I recorded an example setup: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NPvgbW5S98ysTCKmXCjMAmp_VARHFq5l/view

2. Values in Jira custom field are completely the same as ones in Foxly

Eg: In Jira Effort field there are values like S, M, L. And in Foxly there are same values: S, M, L.

I recorded a video with this setup too: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UZR7js7GJR_DrKusfsbaXhxj06rsokKd/view

JSON used to update field value is the following:

{
"fields": {
"Effort - ICE Label": {{issue.fields.customfield_10076.value.asJsonString}}
}
}

"Effort - ICE Label" is the name of the custom field created by Foxly.

"customfield_10076" is my Effort custom field I created in Jira. It's a dropdown custom field so to access the actual value I need to use "{{issue.fields.customfield_10076.value.asJsonString}}"

Let me know if this worked for you.

Thank you,

Nikki

Like Morris Coyle likes this

That worked perfectly! Thank you Nikki, much appreciated.

Like Nikki Zavadska _jexo_ likes this

No problem @Morris Coyle, let me know if I can help with anything else or you have some feedback :)

Like Morris Coyle likes this

Team,

I want to view the sub-tasks/user-stories which are not assigned to any sprint. 

If I filter it with 'Backlog' it is not filtering the backlog tasks.

I could see the tasks only if I filter it with 'Open' status, but it shows the tasks (backlog +Open tasks) which have been assigned to the sprint. 

Kindly guide me how can I achieve this.

Thanks

Muthu

Hi @Muthu Kumar M ,

you can definetly do this in Foxly.

To do more advanced filtering, like the one you're mentioning, you can use JQL filters instead of basic ones in Foxly.
sql-search.png

JQL used for filtering in your case will be following, just replace the names of issue types with the ones you're looking for:

issuetype in (sub-task, user-story) AND Sprint is EMPTY

Here is the documentation for advanced filtering in Foxly.

Let me know if this works for you!

Nikki

Comment

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

Happy New Year and Welcome New Marketplace Partner Program Partners!

Happy New Year! We hope you all had a safe and restful holiday season. 2020 was a unique year full of unforeseen events; however, as we enter the new year of 2021, we’re optimistic for the light at t...

822 views 7 24
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you