Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Folders inside an Epic. Can I keep the add to Epic prompt?

Hi everyone,

Hoping I can get some help with something. 

I have an Epic with Tasks. When I add a new Task to this Epic it asks if I want to inherit the Epic Link. Cool. 

Sometimes the team wants to add Folders inside a large Epic (I'm advising not to do this and group by a transformation but how and ever ...)

So ... 

• Epic 
    • Task
    • Task
    • Task
      • Folder     
        • Task
    • Task

Now, if I add a Task inside the Folder above (which is obviously inside the Epic) I don't receive the request to link to the Epic and the task doesn't appear (because it lacks the Epic Link upon creation). 

Is there a way to maintain the hierarchy here so that I still get the prompt and can retain the Epic Link upon creation inside Structure?

Thanks in advance, 

Lee

1 answer

Hello Lee,

When an issue is being created under an Epic, the Epic link is being created by the 'Stories under Epics' generator which corresponds to relationships between two issues. I.e. if an issue is added under an Epic and the parent-child relationship is formed, the Epic link should be created between them.
This mechanism only works in direct pairing, it will not work when creating a Task under a Task or when creating a Task under a folder - the Epic link simply can't be created between these items. And an Extend generator can't skip structure's levels to enforce this mechanism between a top parent issue and its descendant lower in the hierarchy.

Other than using grouping instead to keep all Tasks directly underneath Epic, we can also recommend creating Tasks in folders as usual and having the Epic Link column in the structure. You can add a Task to an Epic by simply in-line editing the field in the column, which can save some time, and with the column, it's easier to make sure that the Epic link is indeed there.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to contact us at support.almworks.com if you need our help with anything more specific.

Best regards,
Stepan Kholodov
ALM Works

Many thanks for your detailed reply, Stepan. 

Yes; this all makes sense. I will convey this to the team and encourage them to use transformation grouping instead of interstitial folders. 

Thanks again,

Lee

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Apps & Integrations

🍻🍂Apptoberfest Update: Upcoming Virtual Events 🎉

Hello Community! I hope you've been enjoying the 🍂Apptoberfestivities🍂 (I know I have!) The event is heating up next week with a series of virtual events that we're calling the 🍻🍂Partner App ...

97 views 1 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you