Field exposure according to issue type

Jeoung April 6, 2020

I want Custom Field to appear on this issue view screen depending on the issue type.

For example, if the issue type is Bug, only custom field A is shown on the issue view screen, and if the issue type is Task, only custom field B is shown on the issue view screen.

How can I implement this?

I have Scriptrunner .

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 8, 2020

Hello @Jeoung

Thank you for reaching out.

Per your description, I understand you would like to display different custom fields in Jira screens depending on the issue type selected at the moment of the issue creation. Is that correct?

Can you please confirm to us if you are using a Classic or Next-gen Jira project?

In fact, you don't need any third-party apps to achieve what you are trying to do. Instead, you just need to be using a Classic project and your issue types can be configured with separate screens and fields in the same project. Allow me to explain it better:

Each Jira Classic project is configured with an issue type screen scheme, which can be verified under project settings > Screens and is configured to define what screen schemes are related to each issue type in your project (When creating, viewing or editing an issue). Let me give you a practical example:

You can check in the screenshot below  a project (Scrum) that its Issue type screen scheme is configured with two screen schemes: One related to Bug, and another to all other issue types in the project:

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 16.44.59.png

That being said, if I add a custom field to the screen scheme related to the Bug issue type, it will not appear for the other issue types and vice-versa. You can customize and configure more screen schemes to each issue types in that view,  under Project settings > Screens.

I suggest to take a look in the documentation below to better understand the relation between Fields, Screens, Screen schemes and Issue type screen schemes and know how you can set different fields for each issue type you have:

Associating a screen with an issue operation 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events