Feature request: a better way to reorder epics

Gerrie Kimpen January 12, 2017

Reordering a large set of epics (50) is very time consuming in the current implementation: drag-edge-bounce-scroll all your epics across the map.

Maybe add a pop-up dedicated to the task of reordering epics.

2 answers

1 vote
Brendan Thorncraft August 5, 2018

To anyone looking for a solution, I managed to do a standard JIRA search on Epics with my filters on, and you can click on the three dots at the end and click 'Rank to Top' and it will move your Epic to the top. Not great and would love a 'Backlog' like area where you could quickly drag and drop, but this can help limit time spent going from bottom to near top.

1 vote
Nick Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2017

Hi Gerrie, thanks for the suggestion.

Would it be appropriate to have a keyboard shortcut similar to the 's' + 't' for send to top? Alternatively, perhaps a zoom function so you can see the whole / more of the story map?

Thanks Gerrie, and thanks for the screenshots via support as well, gives great context!

Regards,
Nick Muldoon
Product Manager, Easy Agile 

Evan Goldin August 9, 2017

Any update on this? I have like 75 epics on my roadmap, and when I add new ones, they're added to the bottom. Dragging and dropping is not a good way to manage the order here. 

Nick Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2017

Hi @Evan Goldin,

Nothing new to report at this stage I'm sorry to say.

I'm still in information acquisition mode:

• what sort of behaviour would be make reordering a large number of epics easier for you?
  • how often do you reorder existing epics, vs new ones you are creating?
  • does narrowing down by Quick Filter* and then reordering make life easier?

Thanks Evan,
Nick

* Quick Filters are only availabe on the JIRA Server version due to JSWCLOUD-7393

Evan Goldin August 21, 2017

Hey Nick, thanks for the reply. All I'm asking for is the same functionality we have when ordering tasks, stories and bugs: A "send to stop" or "Send to bottom" feature. Even better would be a bulk way to do it (like being able to hold down shift or command and select multiple), but even just doing one quickly would be a huge step up. 

I have close to 100 epics now, and I want them to be ordered in order of priority. But to adjust that priority, I have to drag and drop each one manually. And it's not fast to do that. 

Perhaps I could actually use the priority field itself for priority? I wouldn't be able to get very granular (P0-P4), but that would be better than what I do today. Will the epics drawer on the sprint board respect priority? 

I'm constanatly re-ordering epics. 

I'm using Jira Cloud, so I don't think I can use Quick Filters?

Nick Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2017

Hi @Evan Goldin,

Just a quick update here - we have a story on the backlog for the 'Send to top' / 'Send to bottom' functionality. I'll follow up here when we provide that.

Since August we've introduced a smoother way to drag and scroll to place epics. I understand it will still be time consuming with 100 epics, yet hopefully an improvement nonetheless.

Thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Nick Muldoon
Product Manager, Easy Agile

Macha June 5, 2019

Hi, just wondering if there's any update on this matter especially for cloud version? 

Regards,

Maricris

Nick Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 6, 2019

Hi @Macha, no update at this stage I'm sorry.

Our energy has recently been devoted to the functionality detailed in the version 6.0 release notes:

• start / complete sprints
  • show completed sprints / released versions
  • new issue preview editor (driven by Cloud customers especially)

At this stage we do not have a timeframe for when the epic reordering behaviour will change.

Thank you Maricris.

Regards,
Nick Muldoon

Melanie Becker May 6, 2020

Any update here? I still struggle with reordering epics. It's very time-consuming!

Thanks!

Melanie

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events