I'm looking for a way to export the details of a past sprint to excel - specifically, i want the stories, points, tasks, estimated hours, and actual hours exported so that my team can understand where they estimate well versus poorly (I can deal with more being exported, but that's the minimum set of what I need). I used to do it by exporting each story (click on the story, click export, click excel), but that option seems to have disappeared with the latest version we have (v7.2.4 - I now have XML, Word, and Printable as my options). Ideally, I'd like to export the whole sprint at once (I was able to do this way back when I had the pleasure of working in V1 rather than Jira), rather on a per-story basis, if that's possible.
Can someone kindly help me export what I need? Thank you.
Hi Jacqueline, one of the developers of Agile Poker for JIRA, (estimation tool) here.
We are thinking about implementing some kind of reporting into our product hence my question for you.
How exactly do you use the data you mentioned to assess your estimation performance? Do you just compare estimated .vs actual hours (are actual hours based on JIRA tracking?). Do you estimate in hours or story points? I'm very curious about this process.
Thanks in advance for the answer.
Damian from Spartez
Hi there! I have a team that is still very new in the agile world, so I'm attempting to help them understand all of the things, really. We use story points at release planning, and to help us start sprint planning, but then we use hours estimates on individual tasks to attempt to refine our sprint planning. Ideally, I could export all of the data from a prior sprint (estimated points, estimated hours, actual hours, as logged in JIRA) to help us take a look at what we estimate well and what we estimate poorly. This worked with previous teams - we started to notice trends where we would consistently underestimated, say, larger coding tasks by maybe 15%, but when it came to smaller coding tasks, they were dead-on. Using that information, we were able to start getting closer and closer to realistic estimates - there were of course always outliers, but it was good data to use while the team was attempting to figure out the estimation process. Similarly, we were able to identify what kinds of stories we under- and over-pointed just by looking at the data and saying, "these two-point stories were all within about 10% of eachother, work-wise. these other two-point stories were extreme outliers, and they were all design stories. it seems like we need to find ways to better estimate designs." It's probably over-analysis on some level, but the team I'm with at the moment has no consistency when it comes to pointing or hours estimation, and they need some help getting there.
Thank you very much for this very detailed explanation. Use cases like this will help us better address problem of estimation analysis. I hope we'll get there. Appreciated!
P.S. Currently we have the feature called "Capacity calculator" which kind of addresses the issue from the different angle. It allows you to calibrate your sprint capacity based on past performance. It doesn't allow to narrow down specific issues though, this is where we need to improve I believe.
Thanks once again.
Just to have full picture: why don't you use Export to CSV option (documentation link)?. I'd imagine one can use issue navigator to filter out issues from recent sprints, configure display columns to contain "Story Points" "Original Estimate" "Time Spent" and other interesting fields, and the export that to .csv file that would be eventually imported in Excel. The only tricky thing is building proper jql: I'd go with something like "filter = 12580 and sprint in closedSprints() order by sprint DESC" where 12580 is filter id and can be obtained by inspecting your board configuration pages...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event