Epic SumUp: Missing Container Link custom field

Bogdan Gorka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2018

I like the Epic Sumup add-on very much, but its documentation gives me a headache every now and then.

This time I wanted to explore the Container in Container feature. In the documentation it says in order to display the container link on issue screen, you need to create and define the Container Link custom field. Yes, but there is no special custom field to be selected i.e. no new custom field type is available. If I can't select and create a new type of custom field, I can't add it to screen so I can't see how the container in container functionality works.

Any help from the authors or the Community?

PS. I checked all the config options, global and local and could not find anything. No new custom field type available.

scr.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bogdan Gorka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2018

Some more screenshots:

The container functionality works. There's an additional section added named 'Issues in Container'

container link missing 2.png

However, adding issues to this container is not possible due to the lacking container link custom field which cannot be found in the configuration.

container link missing.png

Bogdan Gorka
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2018

[PROBLEM SOLVED]

As suspected, the documentation explaining the functionality is misleading (yes, another headache with Epic SumUp documentation).

I had to spend a couple of hours of trial and error experiments before I figured out what needs to be done.

First, the explanation in the documentation is wrong.

scr4.png

That's why I got it wrong - there is no need to create and define a custom field the 'normal way'. Actually, there is no need to create and define anything!

To use the container feature on an issue screen, you simply need to add the Container Link field to an issue screen (in my case it was Epic). This field is 'built-in' and you will not find it in the Add Custom field functionality - the field is already there and cannot be customised.

scr5.png

When you add the container link field to a screen then everything works the way it should.

On the issue screen (in my case it is Epic), there's a new field acting just like Epic Link but upwards.

scsr6.png

On the issue screen (for example project) which you want to act like a container, there is a new section which collects all the issues (just like Epic collects all tasks linked to it).

scr7.pngGreat functionality with 'less than good' documentation.

0 votes
Ashwin Naik April 14, 2020

Hi , I have a related question to Epic Sum Up.

We have this plug in and , it rolls up all the time spent for the stories/tasks under this Epic correctly and I am able to see it on the ticket.

My question is can we pull this "time spent" field rolledup on a Epic and have it in my JQL as one of the Output columns ?

Any help be highly appreciated

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events