Easy Agile Story Maps - question about inheritence

Dave Brickley November 16, 2021

Sorry if this has been answered before

Setting up a board to use for Story Mapping

When I add Epics and refresh the page, they disappear

I had assumed that the UI would make some automatic link, because the documentation says users are expected to use filters in order to limit the Epics they see

However, does that mean every time you make an Epic, you have to know the conditions of the filter related to the board, go in and manually add something?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jerome Salimao November 16, 2021

Hi Dave,

Thanks for reaching out. My name is Jerome, I’m a developer here at Easy Agile.

When creating or quick creating Epics on the Storymap, we do populate certain required fields from the board filter (namely Component and Label).

Generally speaking, we don’t want users to have to manually edit Epics to make them appear.

It would be great to see an example of what you are experiencing. Could you please send through

An example JQL filter for your board

An example of the fields that you are needing to populate to make the Epics appear.

Please refer to my response to your other ticket to setup a time to talk through it.

Hope this helps!

Jerome @ Easy Agile

Dave Brickley November 17, 2021

Many thanks for the response, @Jerome Salimao 

I can't remember everything I tried but the simplest example (I thought) was by referencing a known sprint in the JQL on the board, which obviously didn't work

To be perfectly honest, I am only at the stage of demoing this to colleagues and we haven't solved the problem, merely postponed it with a query which says 'only show items with a created date greater than X' (it's in a test database)

We have what I imagine is a pretty typical scenario where I'd like to be able to set up boards to cluster Epics together & have new ones created without the need to manually edit

I'm puzzled above when you say you do populate Component and Label - are you saying that's actually the recommended way of setting up a view? That if you make a board with those fields defined, Epics will inherit?

Jerome Salimao November 18, 2021

Hi Dave,

Components and Labels are currently the only inherited fields from the Board Filter as these are two that we commonly see.

We have tickets on our backlog relating extending the number of fields that populate on newly created issues. When you have a better idea of what your board filters and fields look like, please do send them through so we can look into this further. 

It's difficult to recommend an approach for your filters without knowing your exact use case, but happy to discuss further when you have an idea of what you want your Storymap to display.

Hope this helps!

Jerome

Dave Brickley November 25, 2021

@Jerome Salimao that helped a lot, many thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events