Draw.io question - if I delete draw.io do I lost the content

Paul Wright November 9, 2021

We are already using several whiteboarding tools and it seems commercially wrong to use Draw.io as well as the other solutions we have.

I'm looking at combining some of our add ons where there is overlap and Draw.io may be one of them.

We have over 700 pages with Draw.io content on them, but if I disable the app, do we then lose the content or will it become just view only?

I will be testing this in a dev environment, but keen to see if there's a quick win before I go down this route!  

Any thoughts appreciated.

4 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
David Benson _draw_io_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2021

Fabian's answer is correct. Diagrams are stored as page attachments only, they are not deleted on uninstall.

When you buy an app on server/DC it's a perpetual license. You can use forever the last version released at the date your maintenance expires.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2021

Hi @Paul Wright ,

According to Draw IO support, no data is ever lost. All diagram data is stored as page attachments. Even uninstalling draw.io it does not cause data loss.

Re-installing would make the drawio macros on pages referencing those attachments work again.

Regards

Thank you Fabian, really appreciated.

0 votes
Paul Wright November 10, 2021

FYI. The vendor did respond, and you're correct.  The images are attachments.
They say, 

"no data is ever lost. All diagram data is stored as page attachments. Even uninstalling draw.io it does not cause data loss.

Re-installing would make the drawio macros on pages referencing those attachments work again."

0 votes

Drawio image.png

Disabling the apps presents this on every Draw.io image.

When you re-enable, the image returns.

I've not done an uninstall yet, but this behavior does suggest all images are removed if you decide to uninstall.

I will raise the question with the vendor about image retention as there is a lot of work already invested.  Sadly, we may end up with several tools as to remove this may be too painful!

It will be great to hear about your experiences.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events