Drag and drop attachments in Jira

Özerk Dolanbay December 24, 2013

Hi all,

We uploaded Jira drag and drop plugin but it doesn't work when I try to drag and drop attachments of an email. The browser message is below.

Any suggestions?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 24, 2013

Hi Ozerk

The drag and drop attachment plugin only allow you to drag in files externally from the folder, if you drag the attachments directly from an email (which is not downloaded yet) it will not work.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 24, 2013

You'd need to re-write the mail client to translate the attachments directly into files that the drag-and-drop plugin can accept.

Or re-write the drag and drop plugin to understand all the assorted wrappers that email clients place around the non-downloaded files so that it can automatically pull them from the email server.

Hi Daryl,
Thanks for your quick reply. When our users create an issue they may need to attach some files from an email. Therefore, they have to save them to their local(e.g. their desktop). It is ok for less number of attachments but if there are for example 20 files to attach then it requires too much effort and takes time.

Hi Nic,
Thanks for your reply. We use MS Outlook as mail client. Is a configuration needed? I'm sorry but I couldn't understand how I can re-write the mail client. I'll be very appriciated if you have a document about this subject.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 24, 2013

You need to change the mail client so that it downloads physical copies of the attachments, or makes them available directly to drag and drop, instead of being relative links to files on a remote server.

I suspect that means coding in almost all mail clients.

Aseem Parikh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 24, 2013

Alternatively, JIRA could be set up to create issues from an email...

Özerk Dolanbay December 25, 2013

yeah you're right Aseem but I'm not sure if it works as we expected. Could I set custom fields by catching values from email? I guess it is not possible unless writing additional code or purchasing a plugin like JEMH.

Aseem Parikh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 25, 2013

Not with the out of the box mail handler, unfortunately.

JEMH can be used for free if you're comfortable configuring the plugin through the properties file in the .jar.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 25, 2013

You don't need JEMH to get the attachments to an email attached to the issue, but you do need JEMH (or another handler) if you want to process fields etc.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events