Don't want to pass password in JIRA CLI, rather get from prompt

Build Monkey June 17, 2012

Notice you have to pass a user's password via the command line using jira's CLI. Is there another way to pass this information in? Don't want it in the history.

3 answers

0 votes
Gilbert Ramirez August 7, 2012

Thanks. I opened CSOAP-153.

Setting the user in the config file is not necessary. The idea, however, was that a config file could be more general-purpose than just holding a password. It could be used to set any setting that the CLI program would normally require on the command-line.

Either implemention, environment variable or config file, is fine for me.

0 votes
Gilbert Ramirez August 7, 2012

Even if the password is in the .sh script, the java command that the shell script executes will still be visible in the process tree ('ps' output on Unix).

Is there a way to have the java programs read a property file where the password (and username) could be stored?

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2012

I would think an environment variable might be more useful. An environment variable can be used in the sh/bat file too, but probably it gets resolved too early to help in your case. So probably need the program to also look for a specific environment variable if the password is not set or is a special value. Please create an issue. Why would you need this for user?

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2012

The easiest way is to modify the .bat or .sh file to include the password as indicated in the usage section on this page: JIRA Command Line Interface

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events