Display footnote macro no longer working

Rosario De Domenico
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2017

All pages where the display footnote macro is used are no longer working and show the error message:

Error: No group with name {footnoteId}

instead of the page content.

Removing the macro shows the content as expected.

We are using:

- Confluence server: 6.1.3

- Adaptavist footnote plugin: 2.6.0

Please, help fixing this issue ASAP.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2017

Hi Rosario,

do you also have the Content Formatting Plugin from Adaptavist? And installed the latest version?

With version 6, they deployed a new footnote macro with that Add on and disabled the old one automatically.

Rosario De Domenico
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2017

Yes, I have also that plugin. This must be the reason. I missed any hint from Adaptavist on this chage...

Can you explain me how can I fix the issue then?

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2017

Is the new footnote macro enabled? Maybe the installation stopped the old one and not enabled the new one?

There is an announcement for that:

http://www.adaptavist.com/w/update-footnotes-for-confluence-users/ 

Rosario De Domenico
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 6, 2017

Well, the update of Content Formatting to v. 6.0.0 did not work as described in the link.

I have both plug-ins and after the upgrade the Footnote plug-in is still "active" but gives the metioned error and I the Content Formatting plug-in seems not to bring-in the new macros.

I tried to manually disable the Footnote plug-in but this results in "unknown macro" messages in all pages using the plug-in and if I edit the page I find no macro for footnote...

Who can help fixing the issue?

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2017
Rosario De Domenico
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 6, 2017

I have opened a support ticket.

Rafael Franco
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2017

Thanks for pointing out our product support @Thomas.

I've solved the issue with Rosario. Essentially for some reason the Footnotes modules were disabled.

After enabling the modules it worked perfectly.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2017

great, you're welcome :-)

Rosario De Domenico
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2017

For sake of completeness, the solution was:

1. disable the Footnote plug-in

2. enable the footnote components in the Content Formatting plug-in manually.

Even if before this we had to do other actions and restart the server; probably this was not needed but we will never know...

Like Fred Bunting likes this
0 votes
Nicolas Casel
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2021

Hello @Rosario De Domenico  , @Thomas Schlegel  ,

Up for this topic, as I am facing the same issue:

• In General Admin / Manage apps:
    • "Office Connector" is enabled
    • "Content Formatting for Confluence" is enabled
  • In General Admin / Office Connector settings, "Use the footnote macro for Word footnotes" is checked
  • In a wiki space, I click "Import Word document" / Choose file / Next / ...
  • The Word document is imported in a page, but I get "unknown macro {footnote}" where every footnote is expected to be displayed

=> However, the footnote macro is enabled via the Content Formatting for Confluence plugin.

In your earlier posts, you indicated there is the "Adaptavist footnote plugin": do I need to use it in addition? I don't think so, as I can't find it in the Marketplace. I suppose it has been integrated in the "Content Formatting for Confluence", right?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events