Difference between Groovy and SIL scripting

sivabalan N September 29, 2017

Looking for good scripting language. Please suggest which is easier and simple with the below scripting languages.

1. Script runner

2. SIL

Thanks

2 answers

6 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2017

I work for Adaptavist (since well before we brought Jamie into the fold), but I've been working with Atlassian stuff for a lot longer than that.

Both add-ons provide (roughly) two things.  A set of common functions that are easy to configure without coding, and a way to effectively write code inside Jira.

I am probably supposed to be saying "Yay! ScriptRunner is the best", and I'll probably get told off by my sales guys for this, but...

Powerscripts (JJUPIN) is easier to use than ScriptRunner generally, because it understands Jira and keeps it more simple for your admins when you move past the "off the shelf" stuff and start writing scripts.

But, you need to learn yet another language if you use Powerscripts, and it's one that abstracts you away from the basics of how Jira works.  SR relies on you writing Java and/or Groovy that is backed up by the Jira API directly, so you always know exactly what you're doing. 

Probably most importantly, Powerscripts still hides the core of Jira away from you.  This is not a bad thing for a lot of admins, but when you need the really powerful stuff, you will run into the limitations of the language it uses.  SR, while less friendly, IMHO, lets you do anything with the Jira API.

Wouter Bruinings
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2020

Incredibly honest reply, thanks a lot. 

Like Ismail Karlik likes this
1 vote
Nadir MEZIANI
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2017

Hi @sivabalan N

I had developed much scripts with JJUPIN, it a so nice and good plugin , it easy to learn it and offers much possibilities and functionality .

Script runner is good too , i had not developed on it , i just tried it, it easy to use too, but i think JJPING which offers more.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events