Depth broken and Info-Button without function

Stefan Niedermann October 15, 2013

Hi,

we are using JIRA 5.1.8 and Plug-In v3.0.1.

The Depth-Button is without function and not usable (always: 1). The (i)-Info-Button at each issue does not display a hover-tool-tip or nothing happens on clicking

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
P October 15, 2013

It displays the current depth. To auto expand and collapse one entire level (automatically show/hide all its children) you have to click on the arrow buttons at the left:

• v to exapand
  • ^ to collapse

then the Depth link will show the current expanded/collapsed level.

Regarding the info button you have to double click on it. Probably, this might be changed to show the tooltip when the mouse moves over, it would more close to how it worked in the 2 version.

Stefan Niedermann October 15, 2013

my fault. three suggestions to enhance usability:

1. depth-label seems to be misplaced. don't know how to do better, but now it is suboptimal

2. tooltip: i would prefer 1 click, hover is okay, double click is not ok

3. very minor: smaller border with darker color, e.g 1 px solid #222

best regards

Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2013

In the 3.0.2 versions the tooltips have been fully re-written. Now, hover is supported and double click not longer required. It also shows an html5 tooltip rather than one based on JIRA dialogs. Of course, the new tooltip has also to be improved to be easier readable.

Regarding the Depth label, it has been improved too. Now, it is syncronized with the user actions showing the current tree depth. Some bugs have been fixed, so it works in a more intuitive way as the users would expect, I hope.

When the tree is longer than the visible area, you can quickly scrolling it to the top by clicking on the link.

Stefan Niedermann October 16, 2013

More Suggestions if you want:

- Translations (german users understand, but its more nice if it displays in german ;) )

- Remove the (i)-Button and show the infos on hovering the KEY-123-Link or maybe on hovering the whole issue.

- if no priority is set in an issue, the href contains a "null" - in chrome it displays a image-not-found-placeholder

>> When the tree is longer than the visible area, you can quickly scrolling it to the top by clicking on the link.

Can't see any link??

Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2013

- if no priority is set in an issue, the href contains a "null" - in chrome it displays a image-not-found-placeholder

Fixed.

Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2013

Translations (german users understand, but its more nice if it displays in german ;) )

Sure, multilingual support will be avilable in coming releases (likely after the 3.1 which will support several JQL functions)

Remove the (i)-Button and show the infos on hovering the KEY-123-Link or maybe on hovering the whole issue.

Good point. It has been modified in the 3.0.3 version. Now it is shown when the mouse moves over the summay. Furthermore some other tooltips regarding the rest of the icons (issue type, status, etc) has been implemented.

Extra Bonus: a new icon showing the link direction inward/outward is displayed too. I hope this helps a lot to keep the perspective while users navigate across liked issues on different pages.

When the tree is longer than the visible area, you can quickly scrolling it to the top by clicking on the link.

The Depth: 1 text should be a link itself. Is it not in your case??

Stefan Niedermann October 17, 2013

yes, the depth-label is a link. But how helps it, if theres a large page, i scroll to the bottom and want to jump back to the top? the depth-label is not sticky {display: fixed;}, so i can click it only if i am already at the top ;-)

ps.: great work!

Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2013

Yeap, this would be the desired bahavior. Scrolling up & down is fine. But the problem is in the visible area: In most cases, only a few part of the add-on is visible and the users have to scroll JIRA to see something. This is pretty annoying even more in the JQL search page. By clicking on the Depth link, JIRA (not the add-on) is scrolled making it visible in a very quick and friendly way:

Stefan Niedermann October 17, 2013

Ah, now i understand, you ment, to scroll down from jira to the hierarchy.

i thought you mean this:

a huge structure with >100 issues. i scroll to the bottom. if i want to go back to the top i have to scroll to top. if the depth-link would be sticky if i scroll to bottom, i could use this link to get back to the top, too.

Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2013

It would be even beter for sure, but as I mentioned the goal is not go to the top from the bottom, it is avoid users to scrolling JIRA. Please, see the atached picture and see how in many cases the hierarchical structure is partially hidden and how it becomes visible by clicking on the Depth link. This behavior is shown on three locations:

• The JIRA issue page
  • The JIRA issue SEARCH page
  • THe JIRA Agile Plan Board

Depth link click

Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2013

I guess we are speaking about different concepts: the JIRA and the add-onvisible areas.

if the depth-link would be sticky if i scroll to bottom, i could use this link to get back to the top, too.

Using the Depth link to scroll from the bottom to the top is regarding to how the add-on visible are is managed and it would be a different concept/use case. The current use case is how to magage the add-on visible are regarding its parent visible area.

The add-on and the JIRA visible areas are limited by the screen resolution, etc. Therefore, if a hierarchical structure is too large, it would not fit the entire add-onvisible area and the add-on would show its own scroll bars. This is never true because the add-on auto expands itself within JIRA to avoid having its own scroll bars and relies on the JIRA scroll bars instead.... and the confusion has been brough up as the same bars scroll the add-on and JIRA at the same time....

If the add-on would have its own scroll bar it would be much clear, as you explicitely mean how to scroll the internal add-on bar from the bottom to the top. While I mean how to scroll the external (parent) JIRA scroll bar to ensure that the add-on fits the maximum possible visible area on its parent. Casually, they are the same bars ;)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events