Deprecating the Atlassian Cloud for Gmail app

After much consideration, we've decided to deprecate the Atlassian for Gmail app due to low usage and adoption.

At Atlassian, we work to make team collaboration more fluid, more focused, and more impactful for all team members, wherever you work. When we shipped Atlassian for Gmail, we aimed to help everyone be more productive with Jira, Bitbucket, and Gmail.

Unfortunately, that endeavor wasn’t nearly as successful as we hoped: both usage and adoption are quite low. After chatting with several of our users, it became clear that the app just doesn’t offer the speed and usability we had hoped.

We’ve therefore decided to discontinue this Add-On until we find a better solution. You can keep using it for now but it will cease to function on Nov 1, 2022.

Sunset timeline

• 8/1/22: Users will see an in-app message stating this app will be deprecated in 90 days

• 9/1/22: App will be disabled for any new users. Marketplace listing will be removed and all related documentation

• 10/1/22: 30-day reminder via email and within the app about deprecation
  • 11/1/22: We will disable connecting the app for existing users

There are other alternative apps in our Atlassian Marketplace that we recommend taking a look at.

Thank you,

The Atlassian Product Integrations team

18 comments

Comment

Michael Weintraub August 4, 2022

Really sad to hear this, I love this functionality and use it frequently. At the very least can Atlassian list the alternative apps they recommend to replace this?

Like # people like this
Jon Watts August 5, 2022

This is very sad news indeed as we make use of the Gmail > Atlassian integration with Jira Service Management so this is actually a bit disappointing. 

Like # people like this
Chris McCoy August 8, 2022

This is too bad, this is a daily use feature for my team. We are mobile quite a bit and this feature, also available from within the Gmail mobile app, save lots of time!

Like # people like this
Elizabeth Pietrzak August 8, 2022

This is a daily use for my entire organization and a huge upsell as we enforce jira as our organization's PM tool. I am literally crying!

Like # people like this
kukuca August 16, 2022

Hi, thanks but this is an inconvenience.
Anyway, could you please recommend any other solution, on how to send/attach the email to Jira Issue? 
Thank you

Like # people like this
Enrique Moldes August 16, 2022

Hi, it's a really a very bad new, the integration gmail/jira es very important for us.  One more reason to look for a Jira alternative :(

Like # people like this
Jurn Raaijmakers August 21, 2022

This is really bad news. What is the alternative? This was one of the features why we are using jira. 

Like # people like this
Dominik Gromadzki September 13, 2022

Hi Atlassian Team, please do not kill this feature :( it is very helpful to transform a vertically gmail communication to horizontally kanban processing of important emails...

Like Jon Watts likes this
Tygrr DosRemedios
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 5, 2022

This was a really hard decision to make but there are a couple of alternatives here. Just a reminder that this will be offline on Nov 1, 2022.

Like # people like this
Tarun Singhal October 6, 2022

Feels like a greedy decision from Atlassian to save some cost (and potentially ask users to pay later as a feature) without accessing the amount of inconvenience they would be causing to their users.

Moreover, how an app with a 3.9 rating and more than 800K times downloads has low usage? Something is fishy here.

Also, please at least assess the alternatives that you have listed. They are not at all up to the mark and have serious data privacy and quality concerns.

Like # people like this
henrykoren October 6, 2022

I got lured to cloud by one of the features being that I could use this app.  Why not make it not suck instead of deprecating it?

tomasz_badowiec October 10, 2022

This is extremely sad news for me and my organization.

I learned about this feature after it was sentenced to death. Too bad you were not able to communicate it properly to gan traction and decided to push us all from not perfect but useful free feature toward another paid subscription.

Iryna Komarnitska_SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 2, 2022

My team recently has released the product that integrates Jira and Gmail.

With Email&Tasks: Jira Cloud for Gmail you can transform your Gmail inbox into Jira issue, create task manually, add comments, log work, etc.

Hope it will help all of you!

Like Vitalii Saienko likes this
Michael Weintraub November 7, 2022

@Iryna Komarnitska_SaaSJet_ The app isn't free even if only a subset of users want to install... can you look into a way to adjust that somehow?

Like Gary Barrett likes this
Hans Buis November 7, 2022

I cannot remove the icon anymore which I see when I compose a new message, see also this thread:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Cannot-remove-gmail-app-extension-atlassian/qaq-p/2181985

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 9, 2022

Hi @Michael Weintraub , please write to us support@saasjet.atlassian.net , and we will discuss possible terms of cooperation with you.

Marketplace Partner
December 2, 2022

Hi everyone!

I have one minor update about the add-on Email&Tasks that my team released.

Also, we create Google Chrome Extension Email&Tasks: Jira Cloud for Gmail.

Helpful extension for your easy access to Jira. You can connect your browser to Jira and fully manage your issues directly from any tab.

I hope the extension will be useful to all of you!

Like Gary Barrett likes this
LP November 20, 2023

It is always sad to deprecate things, although it seems in this case was done for the right reasons.

I wanted to mention that, as part of the alternatives, there is also EmailShot.io which gets you a link from any email in GMail, easily shareable in the Jira/Atlassian ecosystem (see also the Workspace Add-on page).

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events