Defaulting a Due Date to two weeks in the future.

donald.hardy April 6, 2020

Okay, first off I am very new to the Jira Services Desk admin role.

I am trying to default a custom Due Date field to be 2 weeks in the future if the user has not entered their own due date.

If someone can explain this to me in very simple terms, that would be great. 

Thank you very much!!!

2 answers

0 votes
Jon Kocen December 3, 2020

the automation tool is pretty nice. It has helped me set dates and other data elements automatically .

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2020

Hi Donald - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You can do that with the free tool called Automation For Jira inside of Jira. Create a rule to Edit an Issue. 

Then set the Due Date to this: {{triggerIssue.now.plusDays(14)}}

I am unable to download any apps at this time.  Is there anyway to do this in Jira Service Desk itself without an add on.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2020

There's nothing to download - just go to the project > Settings for the project you want to implement this on. Then choose Project Automation on the left nav towards the bottom. :-)

image.png

So this is what I have so far, but where do I put the script from your example.  The field I am given only accepts a date format.  What step am I doing wrong?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 6, 2020

Ah, that looks like a very limited version of the tool. Let me see if I can track down the full tool. Shouldn't require a download, but it might require in install to your Jira instance which must be done by a Jira Administrator. 

We are currently on a non production trail version.

image.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 6, 2020

Hey Donald - It looks like you might be using the old built in Automation tool. Is this a Service Desk project? 

Don't click on the link for Automation - make sure you scroll all of the way down and choose Project Automation. 

image (2).png

I do not see that option in my version.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 6, 2020

Can you send me a screenshot of what you see? I will check but it might be that you don't get the full version with a free account. 

Here you go.

image.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 6, 2020

Well, it does look like you will have to do an install. I did not notice that you were on Jira Server. You can find the app here:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215460/automation-for-jira-server?hosting=server&tab=overview

donald.hardy April 7, 2020

So Automation for Jira -Server does cost, which I am not sure will fly on my project, but there is a Automation for Jira - Server Lite for free.

Do you know if the features I need are in the lite version, if so I might be able to get the Lite version approved.

Thank you for all of you help on this.  I very much appreciate your efforts.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 7, 2020

So sorry - I don't use Server so I was not aware they were still charging for it. It is free in Cloud. Here is a link to the differences between Lite and Full:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation/getting-the-right-version-993924597.html

I am not sure by the list if you will be able to do what you want or not. You would have to use the JQL condition, but that should work. I don't see anything about whether you can use "Smart Values" or not. 

Bottom line is that I would try to get it and install it and see if it works or not. I heavily rely on the full version and it is definitely worth the extra money for me if I had server - but I know that's not my call or yours.  ;-)

Thanks again for all of you help.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 7, 2020

If you don't mind - can you come back here and update what happened?

Yes, I will let you know the out come.

Lesly Cracchiolo September 9, 2020

I had further questions about this functionality. I am wanting to know if automation can work in this scenario:

• A due date is added to a task
  • This triggers sub-tasks to adopt a due date 2 weeks in the future from the parents due date

@John Funk Any info you can provide would be much appreciated! 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 10, 2020

Hi Lesly,

Yes, Automation can do that. Do you mind creating a new question on Community for that so people can track the information separately? Then we can answer there. 

Thanks!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 10, 2020

@donald.hardy  - Any update?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2020

Hey @Lesly Cracchiolo  - Can you do an Accept answer on this one so we can close it out? Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events