Create Task automatically based on date with Jira Automation

Andreas Gehrmann May 6, 2021

Hello people,

I am trying to create an automation to create a task regularly by date.

The problem: I can't really use the CRON function because my colleague's requirement is that the task is created "2 weeks before the last Tuesday of the month".

With Cron, I could select the last Tuesday, but not "2 weeks before". I also can't use "every 2nd Tuesday" because sometimes there are five Tuesdays in a month, then the task would be created too early.

Is there any other way to fulfill this automation? I'm trying right now with a daily running rule, but I can't select the appropriate one. What I would need would be:

- Run rule every day
- If date = Two weeks before the last Tuesday of the month.
- Then create task with following subtasks

But I already can't manage to configure the second line.

Can someone help me? Is it possible at all?

Thanks and many greetings
Andreas Gehrmann

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

1 answer

0 votes
Luis Garza May 6, 2021

Not sure if helpful: don't get trapped into just trying to configure Jira for hours. Jira might be able to do it in some cases but not with you compromising.

'Task' Seems vague but if all you mean is creating a Jira ticket of type Task a viable option is enable ticket creation via email configuration in Jira.

Then can just send your self an email 2 weeks before the end of the month using either your email with an extension. Gmail + (Some Extension ex: boomerang) or in my case I would schedule a cronjob on an a different server to send the email. 

The email configuration on Jira would take care of the rest.

Linda Gehrmann May 10, 2021

Hello Luis,

thank you for your answer. That's exactly my problem - I can't get it to work with cron, otherwise I could also use cron-based my rule in Jira automation to create my tasks.

"2 weeks before the end of the month" might work - "2 weeks before the last Tuesday of the month" I can't get it right with Cron, unfortunately.

Of course I can manually set a marker in the calendar when I want to create the tasks via automation, but it would be nicer to have a purely automatic process that creates + assigns the necessary tasks.

Then, unfortunately, there seems to be no answer for this particular requirement.

Thanks for your idea.

Many greetings
Andreas

Edit: Sorry, worked from PC of my wife, wrong account

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Like Josephine Ibe likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events