Create Sub-Tasks from User Selection on Multi-Value Checkbox Custom Field

Seth Miller June 6, 2018

Hi There,

Using Project Automation for Jira Service Desk Cloud, I would like to create multiple sub-tasks based on the selection a user makes in a multi-value checkbox. 

Example:

New Hire Application Checklist (Checkboxes Custom Field)

X Salesforce

NetSuite

X Agile

X Jira

Using this example, I would like to create 3 sub-tasks on the new-hire ticket

Sub-Task 1 = Create Salesforce Account

Sub-Task 2 = Create Agile Account

Sub-Task 3 = Create Jira Account

I don't see a way to do this but am hoping someone has a path to completing this.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2018

Hi Seth,

We don't have a very clean way to do this yet, but you could add multiple 'If blocks' (make sure you're on the latest version if you're in server):

ifblocks.png

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Andreas

Seth Miller June 7, 2018

Thanks Andreas! That worked for me. 

Just a quick note: You must use an If/Else Block and not a JQL Condition block for this to work. It took me a little bit to sort that out. 

0 votes
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2020

Hey guys, I have 13 possible Applications, all with different Assignees for the Subtasks. So... I really don't want to have 13 IF/ELSE blocks.

I was thinking about storing my mapping of Applications->Assignees in Project Entities or as a single Project Entity JSON block.

Alas, Jira or Automation seems a little picky about dashes or underscores in keynames, and while I can store the JSON object in an entity, I'm less confident I can get the values back _out_.

But then there's the root problem: How do you iterate over checkbox values and try to create subtasks for each one?

I could iterate through the list in an Audit Log test, but can't wrap my head around any way of trigger a subtask creation. 

So I guess I'm stuck with 13 IF/ELSE blocks? Man, I feel like we're so close...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events