Costs per Story Point

Steve Martin June 4, 2020

My goal is to calculate total cost of story delivery deriving it from the headcount cost of the team.  It has many steps to it and I have done alot of searching and haven't seen an example report yet - if one exists please share.

Otherwise, my first step and I am sure this is the easy part.  Looking to create a calculated value where by multiplying the actual total story points resolved by a fixed dollar amount.

Example:
If I have 40 story points and my cost is $250 a point, I want to show total cost of $1,000.00.

I tried 2 different variations and no success on either:

Option 1: [Measures].[Issue Story Points]*250.00

Option 2: [Measures].[Story Points resolved]*250.00

Both options left me with $250.00 being shown so I am assuming it is reading the field and not the actual value.

Any advice on creating better financials without other plugins would be great.

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2020

You're missing the point on using an abstract measure of effort. Story Points are not a measure of time, cost, etc. They are a way to get a group of people to agree on the amount of effort something will require, without taking in to account each individual's experience in the subject, The purpose is to group tasks together that can be completed within a Sprint's duration based on historical performance of the team.

Having said that, Tempo Budgets is intended to track cost, so I'd have a look at that App. My recommendation is to tie cost to something other than Story Points, though. It may make sense to use Story Points for your planning, then have people track actual time spent and tie that to cost. 

Steve Martin June 8, 2020

I know what story points are - wasn't asking for your opinion on what points are.  I am seeking a direct answer to my question.  It is also kind of rude to push your app and hijack a question.

Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2020

Good luck, then.  I have no affiliation with Tempo.  Just trying to help solve your problem. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events