Copy value from customfield in epic to story in Next-gen

Dean Panos February 4, 2021

I've tried this about 30 different ways to no success. The audit log shows it is successful but the fields are not updated in the story ticket. Here is the code I am using:

Things I've tried include:

Referring to the customfields by name rather than the ID.
"epic" instead of "parent" in the json code

Both fields are available to all issue types.

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2021

Hi Dean,

Can you share a screenshot of the audit log for when it fires? 

Also, what exactly are you trying to do? What field is being copied from the Epic to the Story? And can you show a screenshot of the details of that step?

@John Funk The audit log only shows "Success" attached below.

I am trying to copy the value of a custom field labeled "Producer" and "Brand Manager" in the epic to the same fields in the story ticket. When I check the story ticket, neither field is correctly taking the values from the epic.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2021

Aren't these the same two fields that were giving you trouble in the other post? Are you sure they are on the Epic? Meaning they have values in them? 

And can you verify that the new card is getting linked to the Epic? 

Yes, same issues. Yes, they are both filled in on the epic and the story ticket is attached to the epic. The fields are "People" fields as categorized by jira when we created them in the issue types section of the project settings.

As you know, global customfields don't work with next-gen so that's why I've tried using the code written at the top of this post.

If I create a new field and add it to both issue types, that field isn't even in the dropdown of fields to edit, so I need to access it through JSON. I don't think my JSON has any errors but I may not be correctly accessing the data to copy to the story ticket.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2021

Ah, it's a Next-gen project. That's probably the problem  - there are known issues about how Next-gen actually links to Epics - it's different than normal. 

I am not sure I have seen anyone get that working. 

I would open a ticket with Atlassian and see if they can help:

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Please post back here with any solution. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events