Copy value for required field at creation stage

Patricia Mayer April 23, 2020

With the new automation rules, is it possible that when creating an issue, the value of a particular required field is copied from another field? 

So example, if we are creating an Epic, is it possible to automatically fill in the Epic Name value by copying what is in Summary? or vice versa? Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2020

Hi Patricia  - Yes, with Automation For Jira it is possible to copy the value from one field to another across issues.

Patricia Mayer April 23, 2020

I need to create it at 'issue creation' stage, since they are both required field. I create a rule, but it doesn't run, since it needs to run before issue gets created. if you did it before, I would appreciate some help. It seems that it will only work, for fields that are not required.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2020

Can you share a screenshot of what you have so far?

Patricia Mayer April 28, 2020

This is what I have:

2020-04-28 10_08_38-Project automation - Jira.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2020

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood the initial question. No, that is not going to be possible because the original issue is not getting created without the Epic Name being filled in so the Automation will never fire. 

I don't know if anyway to do what you are trying to do. I would like the same functionality.  :-(

Patricia Mayer April 29, 2020

yeah .. thanks for your help though 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2020

If this took care of the issue for you, can you click on the Accept Answer button to close this one out? Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events