Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Copy field from linked issue using automation

I am trying to copy a user picker field from issue A to linked issue B using JIRA Automation.

I can create a rule that copies the user picker field from linked issue B to issue A.

In the screenshots below issue A would be ULEARN-6 and issue B would be ULEARN-25.

The current rule sets the value of ULEARN-6 to linked issue ULEARN-25 which is a null value and not helpful.

What I need to do is the reverse where ULEARN-25 copies it's field from ULEARN-6.

Help!

jiracopy.png

jiracopy 2.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Jamie McCarter 

Can I clarify your need here?

Are you looking to copy the user value from the source issue or the destination issue?

You can find a good explanation of source vs destination on this blog post (which might also solve your question!)

Ste

I am looking to copy from the destination issue. The blog post I think is based on a current version of automation. I do not have the destination issue option in my branching rule selections? I'm using 5.1.15.

I solved the issue. I found an article from 2019 that indicated edits could not happen after the branching in certain situations for the server version of automation I have. I removed the branching part of the rule and had the Trigger = Linked Issue, a JQL parameter to weed out only my target issue, and then an Edit Issue action to edit the field i needed using the {{destinationIssue.customfield_12345}} smart value. Works perfectly now!

Awesome, glad you found a solution!

Thanks for sharing this on the Community; this can help others who also run across the same issue :)

Ste

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Apps & Integrations

🍻🍂Apptoberfest Update: Upcoming Virtual Events 🎉

Hello Community! I hope you've been enjoying the 🍂Apptoberfestivities🍂 (I know I have!) The event is heating up next week with a series of virtual events that we're calling the 🍻🍂Partner App ...

43 views 0 3
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you