Copy field from linked issue using automation

Jamie McCarter November 20, 2020

I am trying to copy a user picker field from issue A to linked issue B using JIRA Automation.

I can create a rule that copies the user picker field from linked issue B to issue A.

In the screenshots below issue A would be ULEARN-6 and issue B would be ULEARN-25.

The current rule sets the value of ULEARN-6 to linked issue ULEARN-25 which is a null value and not helpful.

What I need to do is the reverse where ULEARN-25 copies it's field from ULEARN-6.

Help!

jiracopy.png

jiracopy 2.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 21, 2020

Hi @Jamie McCarter 

Can I clarify your need here?

Are you looking to copy the user value from the source issue or the destination issue?

You can find a good explanation of source vs destination on this blog post (which might also solve your question!)

Ste

Jamie McCarter November 24, 2020

I am looking to copy from the destination issue. The blog post I think is based on a current version of automation. I do not have the destination issue option in my branching rule selections? I'm using 5.1.15.

Jamie McCarter November 24, 2020

I solved the issue. I found an article from 2019 that indicated edits could not happen after the branching in certain situations for the server version of automation I have. I removed the branching part of the rule and had the Trigger = Linked Issue, a JQL parameter to weed out only my target issue, and then an Edit Issue action to edit the field i needed using the {{destinationIssue.customfield_12345}} smart value. Works perfectly now!

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2020

Awesome, glad you found a solution!

Thanks for sharing this on the Community; this can help others who also run across the same issue :)

Ste

Jurica Petricevic
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2022

@Jamie McCarter doesnt work for me. I dont get it why :/

0 votes
Kendall Totten January 31, 2023

@Jamie McCarter can you include the link to the blog post you mentioned please & thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events