Copy comment on one ticket to another (if cloned from specific project)

James Wardle April 1, 2022

Hello there.

I have two projects. TP1 and Test.

I have a ticket in TP1 that I clone to the Test project.

When I comment on the cloned ticket in the Test project, I want that comment to copy to the original ticket in TP1. 

I've had a rule set up to do that (attached).

However, the rule still triggers when a ticket in the Test project is commented on (which hasn't been cloned from TP1).

Is it possible to have a rule in place that will only trigger for clones of tickets from the TP1 project? 

Screenshot 2022-04-01 at 16.14.36.png

2 answers

1 vote
Julien Peyrade @ Elements
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 4, 2022

Hello @James Wardle 

If you don't mind using an add-on, Elements Copy & Sync can help you do exactly this. It's free for Cloud instances up to 10 users and has a 30 days free trial for all.

I'm the Product Manager of the app, so I can help you if you have any question. Basically, it lets you clone issues with customised options (you can clone everything, or just specific fields) and then can synchronise comments between the original issue and the clone automatically.

You can synchronise workflow statuses as well if needed.

I  hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Julien

1 vote
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2022

Hi @James Wardle 

Just to confirm...

• Issues start in TP1
  • Some of those Issues are cloned to TEST
  • For a cloned issue, you want comments to be displayed on both Issues IF the linked clone is from TP1 (no other Projects)

If so, this should work (it's a Global Rule)...

• Trigger: Issue Commented
  • Condition: Issue Fields Condition
    • Project = TEST
  • Branch: Branch rule / related issues
    • Linked Issues - Clones
      • Sub-Condition: Issue Fields Condition
        • Project = TP1
      • Sub-Action: Comment on Issue
        • Comment = {{triggerissue.comment.last.body}}

Let us know if this works for you :)

Ste

James Wardle April 4, 2022

Thanks for this @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ , this is great!

We've found that we have a total of 500 automation executions per month. Our automations have always been single project, so this is the first time we've used global automations. 

Currently every time a comment is copied across to the TP1 project, it uses an execution "token" (as expected). However, we've spotted an execution still gets used when a comment is left on a TEST project ticket, which hasn't been cloned.

Do you know if there's a way to configure it so that the automation only triggers when a comment is left on a ticket that has been cloned from TP1? 

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 8, 2022

Hi @James Wardle 

Not that I know of.

The trigger is checking all comments, before limiting which to action against using the condition/sub-condition.

But from an execution perspective, it's the trigger - rather than the action - which is counted against your automation limits.

I would check to see if upgrading to Jira Premium is an option if the execution limit becomes an issue - where the number of global executions goes up exponentially (1000 executions, per user, per month - eg. 200 users = 200,000 executions).

Ste

James Wardle April 8, 2022

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

Thanks for the reply to this. I thought that might be the case, with the execution based on the trigger. Thanks for taking the time to help with this. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events