Control Freak denies merge request

janvandeklok June 14, 2018

Hello,

I've enabled 2 merge strategies (FF and Squash) and used Control Freak to prevent unsquashed merges to certain branch types.

Now Control freak is causing an error as soon as I will try to open the Merge page and thus does not give me the chance to choose between the FF and Squash strategy on the merge page.  

Is this normal behavior? I would expect that this check is done when the merge button on the merge page itself is pushed and fails when there is more than 1 commit  and the squash strategy is not selected.

Regards Jan     

1 answer

0 votes
Julius Davies _bit-booster_com_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2019

Control Freak does the inverse of what you expected.  It requires the branch to be Squashed *before* it will allow the merge.  Here's the pertinent snippet from our documentation:

Rebase & Squash Policy

These settings are used to enforce specific structural constraints on the branch-to-be-merged before it can be merged. The final merge itself will not necessarily be a "--ff" or "--squash" merge, since the underlying merge mechanics are controlled by the merge strategies Bitbucket is configured to use, and not by Control Freak.

If you install our paid PR-Booster plugin, then it becomes very easy to squash the branch and satisfy Control Freak - just hit the "squash" button that PR-Booster puts on the pull-request screen.

p.s. Sorry for the (very late) response - I used to receive notifications whenever new questions were created that pertained to our plugins, but those seemed to have stopped when Atlassian migrated to these new Discourse-based forums.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events