Stefan Frey October 10, 2021

Hello community!

We use in our Jira projects these issuetypes for work breakdown hierarchy:

1) Theme

2) Inititiative (child of Theme)

3) Epic (child of Initiative)

4) Story / Task / Test

Question:

I´m seaching for a solution to clone a whole issue tree (Theme + all its Inititiaves + all Epics + all Storys / Tasks / Tests). 

Current problem:

I tried the app "Deep Clone". But it don´t works, because of two reasons: First you have to define the right JQL filter for this issue tree (not possible) and second problem is the correct linking of the clone issue (build up the same issue tree with the cloned issues).

Do you know a solution for my problem?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 11, 2021

Hi @Stefan Frey,

I am Marlene from codefortynine, the product manager of  Deep Clone for Jira.

Cloning entire issue trees should be possible with our app. I am sorry it didn't work for you.

I hope these steps help to solve your problem:

• Select the "Theme" which is the parent issue for all Initiatives, Epics and Stories/Tasks/Tests
  • Navigate to the action menu of the "Theme"
  • Select "Deep Clone"
  • Select "Epic/Tree" clone

deep-clone_single-clone.png

deep-clone-jira_epic-tree-clone (1).png

You can also watch our demo video about the Epic/Tree Clone

Please contact us, if you are still not able to clone the entire issue tree.

Thank you!

Stefan Frey October 11, 2021

Hello Marlene!

Thanks for your really fast reply.

I have admin rights in our Jira Cloud instance, but then I click on "Deep Clone" in a initiative issue, I jump direkt to "single clone" window and don´t get this window with the choice between single and Epic/tree cloning.

Could it be, that we need Jira Premium with "advanced roadmaps" for clone trees?

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 11, 2021

You're welcome, Stefan :) 

I assume that you use standard issue links to connect Themes, Initiatives and Epics, and no hierarchy (like in Epics > Story > Subtask)?

Cloning standard issue links is possible with the Deep Clone Bulk Clone. 

Unfortunately I currently have no idea how to filter for all linked issues.

You can filter for linked issues of an issue using this JQL:

issuekey = THEME-123 OR issue in linkedIssues("THEME-123")

But I am afraid that this would only enable you to filter for the Themes and the linked initiatives. 

If you want to Bulk Clone your issue tree on a regular basis, my recommendation would be to introduce a label for all issues of one issue tree which makes it easy for you to identify all issues you want to clone.

0 votes
Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions
Marketplace Partner
October 13, 2021

Hi

With standard JQL, you can only get a list of issues and export them to Excel for further processing. This works if you want to do a one-off analysis. Your use case is more dynamic than that.

Standard JQL doesn't easily allow it but you can find the issue tree using our professional indexing service:

After you install the app you can create the intermediate queries:

1. Your theme: key=THEME-1
  2. intiatives under the theme: issue in linkedIssues(THEME-1,"parent of")
  3. epics under the theme, save this query as a filter 'Epics': issue in linkedIssuesOfQuery("issue in linkedIssues(THEME-1,'parent of')", "parent of")
  4. Children of Epics: issue in childrenOfIssuesInQueryRecursive("filter='Epics'")

The final query looks like this:

key=THEME-1 OR issue in linkedIssues(THEME-1,"parent of") OR filter='Epics' or filter='Children of Epics'

Check out the documentation if you want to learn more.

I hope this helps!

Stefan Frey October 13, 2021

Hello Daniel!

Is a smart solution without "Filter" possible?

--> Search in one JQL Search (with Extensions)

Reagards,

Stefan

Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions
Marketplace Partner
October 14, 2021

It's not possible to get it without an additional filter. The criteria of the filter could be changed to make it more dynamic.

What's your concern about the filter?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events