Clone Ticket and Epic Daily and Monthly respectively

Arundev N B September 17, 2021

Hi,

My requirement : Every weekeday a ticket and its sub tasks must be cloned under same epic (which I was able to do now). But when month chnages, new epic should create and start cloning tickets under new epic. Thus I need monthly Epic creation and same ticket & sub-Tasks to be cloned everyday by making sure it goes to new epic starting from new month until end of that month and again a new epic for next month an dthe process continues... 

More over old EPic should be closed while creating new epic. 

Epic name example : DRT : Sep-2021

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2021

Hi Arundev,

You should be able to do all of that with Automation rules. You can create an initial rule with a Scheduled trigger that can fire once a day and create your Epic. 

Then you can have a separate rule that creates the tasks and sub-tasks based on an Epic being created. 

Arundev N B September 19, 2021

Thx John

I am not able to form a  logic to validate whether it is new month start and if YES then only create a new epic(as epic is monthly one) . Any jquery pattern which could help me in that ? somthing like {{now.format("MM-yyyy")}} doesn't contain  {{issue.summary}}  but something better ?

My logic is 
   1) Schedule the job run every day
   2) If new month start, then create new epic with summary "DRT : MM-yyyy"
   3) If old month itself, select existing epic
   4) clone last task in that epic and its sub tasks too / clone last task in previous month epic and clone that and sub task to newly created epic. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2021

Hey @Bill Sheboy  - Any thoughts on how to identify if the issue creation is in a new month? 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2021

Hi @Arundev N B and @John Funk 

To determine if it is the first day of the month, I believe there are several possible solutions...including you could do an advanced compare condition with some date adjustments.  For example:

• first value: {{now.jiraDate}}
  • condition: equals
  • second value: {{now.startOfMonth.jiraDate}}

You may need to adjust your rule logic to use if/else structure to get the usage of the different epics correct.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like # people like this
Arundev N B September 22, 2021

Thx
let me try that

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events